You Do Not have Sufficient Privileges

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lipsockisback, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lipsockisback macrumors newbie

You Do Not have Sufficient Privileges is a message I get when trying to save anything to my Desktop. I was simply trying to save some pictures from my SD card to the desktop for quickness and the msg says - 'The item 1234.jpg could not be moved because "desktop" cannot be modified.' I click the button "Authenticate" - then get "Finder requires that you type your password". Click Ok and get "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items".
    Any ideas on how I resolve this one?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Are you on the Administrator account of the computer? Are you sure you got the password correct?

David

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Open a Terminal window and type:

ls -l ~

then paste the results here. It's possible that the permissions have been changed.

(You may want to just copy and paste the command into the Terminal window to avoid typos.)

4. lipsockisback thread starter macrumors newbie

You Do Not have Sufficient Privileges

Yes, I do know the password - it is constantly used for logging on, updates etc. and I am the administrator.

Ref opening a terminal window, this is where I get a bit dumb. I am new to MACS ; can you please explain how/where I do this?
    Cheers for your help.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, it's just a program in the Applications folder under Utilities called Terminal.app. Not too technical. ;)

6. iChrisG macrumors member

Oh boy. That happened to me with EVERYTHING! What I did, was I reinstalled Leopard. I'm not sure if you want to do that, but it worked!

The one bad thing, is when I try to grab some stuff from my EHD, all the folders are locked. :(

7. clapperboy macrumors newbie

First I got the message when copying from an NTFS drive to a Mac drive. I tried it again and did not get the message.

Next, I tried installing an app over an older version.

I've not had a problem like this until installing 10.5.7. Any chance there's a connection (I have admin privileges and use the correct password).

Perhaps, as the Mac OS grows in popularity, the need for security and resulting hassles also increase...

Scott