You Do Not Have The Appropriate Access Privileges

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sir Peter, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Sir Peter macrumors newbie

Hi All

New user here as I am sure most posters are to this forum. I was given an old G5 by a customer of mine, I have had it into the local Mac Repairer who has looked it up and down and installed Leopard onto the system. I have been trying to get the DVD player to read multi regional DVD and had a forum member PM me instructions on how to do this, I am working on these instructions and while trying to perform on of the tasts I keep getting this error message

The document "SystemVersion.plist could not be saved. You do not have the appropriate access privileges?

How do I get them? I am the owner of the computer so I should be able to get them?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I believe certain files are owned by the system, mainly to stop you breaking something. You could get info on the file and change permissions through that, but to then save the file you need to have permissions for the enclosing folders, so you might have to change a lot of permissions; and make sure you change them back afterwards.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Was the step using Terminal to change that file? If so you'll likely need to use "sudo" before the command, which'll let you act as a super user. Otherwise give more details about the instructions you received.

4. ck47 macrumors newbie

thank's samh, finally i can configure time machine backup interval, by overriding its configuration at system files..