"You Don't Mess With The Zohan"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kabunaru, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

What is your opinion of this movie? Was it worth the money to see? It looks like a good movie from commercials.

2. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I saw it last night.

I really liked it.
    i thought it was well worth seeing it.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

A friend I trust told me the reviews he read were bad. That's what we call a meta-meta-review, and it's got a terribly low rate of accuracy; therefore, I'm going to go see the movie. With that friend, ironically.

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Adam Sandler stopped being funny at Big Daddy.

5. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I'd give it a 3 of 5, funny, but not anything to really write home about. Go for matinee, and I'd say good date movie as well, but not really that entertaining..

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The real question is, is it better than The Love Guru?

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Big Daddy wasn't funny to me at all. He stopped being funny in his 20s, around the time Happy Gilmore was released. He's over 40 years old now, I think.

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

anyone remember punch drunk love? sweet flick...

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

stupidest movie i have ever seen in my life. i saw it for free thank god (uncle works at sony got me free passes at the sony private theater) even for free i was about ready to walk out lol. their attempts at humor were just stupid and dumb. I really wish i would have used those 2 hours of my life for something else like walking on hot coals while chewing on broken glass.... would have been more fun.

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I can't wait to see it. Dumb name, but I like that Sandler puts all of his buddies in his movies. They are a riot!

11. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Oh please tell me you're kidding. That was perhaps one of the worst movies ever made. My wife left the room and I wish I had just stopped it and returned it immediately. I only finished it because I didn't want to waste my rental fee on it.

12. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Oh... Is it really that bad? :confused:

13. nizz macrumors regular

his production company Happy Madison can't catch a break. It seems like every single movie they produced came in with mixed reviews.

I thought strange wilderness was very funny. But most people say it deserved a 0/10. But then I thought Grandma's boy was terrible and some people said it was super funny?

that being said I'd rather wait for dvd releases on Adam Sandler movies

14. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

What? Adam Sandler was funny at some point?

15. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I agree with princealfie.

"Punch Drunk Love" is the only Adams Sandler movie that has any artistic merit whatsoever. The rest is mostly trash with a few laughs here and there IMO.

The thing I find funny (funny "strange") is that when he gets serious and actually tries, he can be very good, but he manages to stink up almost every movie he makes with a heaping spoonfull of the childish stupids and a smattering of offensive jokes.

I predict when he finally grows up (50?, 60?), and gets control of his anger, he will make a really good movie and surprise everyone like me who hated him all this time.

16. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

click was a pretty funny and good movie.

17. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Well, I'm 17 years old and I really enjoyed how immature the movie was.

The old people behind me kept going "oh come one!"

I saw it with two other friends of mine and they liked it.

18. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Wrong.

Haven't seen Zohan yet, looks amusing though.

19. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Exactly..... Mike Myers and Adam Sandler are hitting a dry spell.... The Love Guru looks more like Austin Powers goes to India..... What happened to Austin Powers anyway? I miss him....

20. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I read this review from the NY Times that was good and hoped that I would enjoy it. It was "okay" at best. Really not worth seeing it in the theater. Personally, I regret having spent money on it.

It's cliché and way overdone. I'm certainly no prude, but the vulgarity and sex are simply self-serving. They are unoriginal and pointless beyond their first instances and present only for shock value.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Reign Over Me, that was a great flick with Sandler.

Also, Love Guru looks crazy lame. Best comedy this summer - or so it looks - will be Get Smart. And, I guess Hancock might qualify as a comedy.

21. Joel Beason macrumors member

the question is, is it worth paying 10$ for a ticket then 5$ for gas to go see":???

22. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The answer is: no. :D

Also, came across this a bit after I posted and thought I would share it. I agree with their rankings for the most part, although I probably would have bumped Anger Management up a few spots, Chuck & Larry up more than a few spots, and put Reign Over Me in the top spot.

Rotten Tomatoes ranks Sandler's films, from worst to best

And, since it doesn't place Zohan, in my opinion I'd put it around 13, thought partly because it gets bonus points for the cameos and Emmanuelle Chriqui (wow).

23. R34 macrumors newbie

just saw it the other night. meh... When i first saw the ads for it i got kind of excited to go see it. maybe it would have been better if i hadn't hyped myself up for it. There are definately some funny parts, but some of the comedy is just cheesey. I remember saying to my self, "oh god...I hope Sandler doesn't start making all of his movies like "super hero movie" "scary movie" "not another teen movie", etc". you know, all the movies that have to put the word "movie" in the title and are all really cheesy. It wasn't bad enough to walk out of the theater or get bored. $10 bucks? maybe not, but worth a rental and a watch.

Seriously, my favorite actor in all of these movies though is Nick Swardson. He played the guy in Bed Bath and Beyond in the movie 'Click', the super gay brother of jessical biel in the movie 'I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry', and played Michael in 'Don't Mess With the Zohan'. Funny guy and full of energy. He was also the stalker guy in 'Blades of Glory'

But anyways, in terms of his other movies - just because he stopped being as hilariously funny doesn't mean he hasn't had some good movies. I really like 'Click', I Now Prounounce You Chuck and Larry, and Spanglish. Whoever said they liked Punch Drunk Love should maybe go watch it again, this time sober...or concious.

24. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Well, I just seen the movie today and I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. It made laugh so hard in the movie theatre that tears were coming out of my eyes.

25. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

It's an Adam Sandler movie -- crude, ridiculous, and will have you in stitches. I loved it :)