You get nearly 25% less battery in new macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoskO, Oct 27, 2016.

1. RoskO macrumors member

Figured this might help some of you out there in making buying decisions. Here's a comparison of the battery capacity of the (old) 2015 version to the newly released pros.

The new 13" retina has a 46-watt-hour battery with touch bar version, 56whr without touch bar
    By comparison, the 2015 (old) 13" retina had a 74.9-watt-hour battery.

The new 15" retina has a 76whr battery
    The old 15" used to have a 99.5whr battery

I'm aware that the new skylake platform should in theory be a little easier on battery life, but then again the new touch bar and newer/brighter screen might use a tiny bit more.

It will be interesting to see what real world battery life is, but they had to shave off weight somehow, battery is the easiest part to do so. I think this is why battery life got no mention in the announcement today, I suspect it'll be the same if not a little less with real world use.

2. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

They said the the screen uses less power.

3. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

Yup...they also said it was a lot brighter. It might use less power at a lower at the same brightness level of the old screen, but maybe when it's 100% at higher nit it uses more, they don't really tell you the whole truth there I don't think.

4. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Well they're saying battery-life went up by an hour (9 to 10 hours). So theoretically the loss in battery size is compensated for by less power usage.

Now, whether it is true...