You gonna spend extra money on fast charging?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shirtin, Jun 7, 2017.

?

Purchasing fast charging accessories?

1. Yes

35.7%
  2. No

34.7%
  3. Maybe

29.6%
  1. Shirtin macrumors member

It should have been included in the new iPad Pro 10.5" & 12.9". Personally I am on the fence because apple chargers run hot to the touch. I am using third party charging lighting cables and charger which runs cool to the touch. They are a lot more reliable in the long run since i had my charger for years and my current cables for over a year.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

3. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Any recommendations on which ones you use? Thanks

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No need for me as I always charge overnight when needed. Do not ever think I have run the batteries down on any of my iPads in less than a day.

5. rdavis41 macrumors regular

rdavis41

Love the fast charging. It cuts down your recharge time in half. It also does a good job topping off an iphone in a pinch, though I don't recommend doing that all the time. If I'm working on something intensive its nice to see it recharging while I have it plugged in. If you use the standard adapter you will be lucky to stay at the same % level when working with iPad while plugged in.

6. yegon macrumors 68020

Same.

Proper fast charging on the iPhone can't come soon enough though.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

If it was like $10 sure, but not at $30 for the charger + $25/$35 for the cable. That's a ridiculous cost.

8. Shirtin thread starter macrumors member

9. MachCrit macrumors regular

MachCrit

Never, unless an extreme emergency. Not until you convince me that it doesn't harm battery life.

10. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Which cable is needed then for fast charging?

12. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

In my experience my old 12.9 Pro lasted 4-6 hours before it was dead. so I had to get the fast charger. The 9.7 has much better battery life so it not necessary for me.

I bet the Pro 2 will be similar.

13. iPhonetherefore macrumors regular

Will gen 1 12.9 fast charge (29w) with third party chargers or only apples own?

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apples accessories are always priced high. There is no way a fast charger would be priced at $10.00. Even the 3.5 lightning adapter is $9.00.

15. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Already did for my original 12.9". I hemmed and hawed for quite a while, though, but I was happy I did it when I finally pulled to trigger. Still, $84+tax (2m cable) was more than it should have cost, for sure.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2017 ---
    It's actually $49 for the charger!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2017 ---
    Although there may be another combination that works, every test result I have read says that only Apple's charger AND cable will fast charge.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It may one day but I see wireless charging soon for the iPhone and it will be slow as a slug.

17. yegon macrumors 68020

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd take a super quick charge to 80% over wireless charging every time.

And I still roll my eyes at the term "wireless" charging in its current form.

18. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

I personally think that the next step for the upcoming iPhone will be fast charging.
    Wireless charging will come with the next years iPhone (as one of their key marketing features for the "same-design-model").

There is an extra page on the Apple website, where they clearly emphasize the compatibility of the iPad / iPhone chargers. Do you have any information for me on how fast charging could affect battery life? I was fairly certain that this is not the case.

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, wireless is not really wireless.

For me plugging in and charging while I sleep has worked for years and years but I understand that others want it to charge NOW!!!

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

On a sidenote, I know this isn't considered fast charging, but I always use the iPad charging adapters for my iPhones and it does make a significant difference in charging times.

21. MachCrit macrumors regular

MachCrit

Physics and long experience with closed-loop feedback balance charging LiPo's in RC applications. I'm sure that it has gotten better, but charge rates and heat generation reduces battery life. No need to do so given proper power management, which admittedly can be a pain.

Used to travel with a paperback book, now its four devices that require immediate set up of a charging station when I hit the hotel room. ;)

22. Doomoo macrumors newbie

I know from my experience with RC's that fast charging LiPo's shorten their life. No idea if it's the same witth Li-Ion though. For me not taking the risk.

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

It takes some serious usage to kill the battery on an iPad in one day

24. kognos macrumors member

Voted "No".

The key point is "spend more on". I love the idea of fast charging. I have reasonable faith in it not ruining the battery, plus generally get applecare anyway to cover most issues. But I really dislike the overly large brick (I'm a travel efficiency kind of person) and also can't find a use case where even trickle charging overnight doesn't cover me.

I will very rarely find myself where the battery is nearing zero and I also don't have a good 8 hour timespan to recharge. 10 hour lifespan is pretty good.

However if the brick gets smaller and/or USB 3.1 gets more widespread I'm there. There just isn't a use-case right now for buying a larger brick and a specific cable for something where I've got tons of smaller bricks and older lightning cables to meet the need.

Plus there's always the "maybe this year" idea that wireless charging is somewhere on the horizon.

Speaking of which, why the heck are the 29w bricks so large?

25. dooyou macrumors regular

Isn't there a good third party charger out there?