You guys are all waiting for the...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mojopixel, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

...NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and it's driving some of you mad but what exactly is wrong with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT???

2. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

There is nothing wrong with it, it's a great card, and it's more then enough for some of us, including myself. The problems lies with the video issues this card has been causing for everyone including myself. The random artifacts and screen flicker issue. All of these cards look to be defective right now - that's why a lot of US are re-ordering with the 8800GT.

That's what's wrong...

3. ideasman69 macrumors member

ideasman69

nothing is really wrong with it but the speed and processing power between them is amazing. and for $200 its nothing. you'd be stupid not to spend the extra when you're already spending so much.

xeon + 8800 = awesome

4. exspes macrumors member

Because pouring so much money into a top of the line machine and not having a top of the line(ish) videocard is just a ridiculous idea.

For me - this is replacing my desktop PC and thus it has to play games as well as do complex 3d rendering. So, 8800 rawks.

5. sirris101 macrumors member

Sorry to hear about your trouble... I've got a 2600 XT and it's working great. That said, I also have an 8800 GT on order...

6. schreck macrumors regular

I currently have the ATI card and have also seen some problems with screen flickr and lag. Even exposé is slow at times. All of this in a brand new xeon Mac Pro. Perhaps 10.5.2 will help with some of these issues, but if it does not, I'll wait until the 8800GT becomes more readily available from Apple.

7. ksz macrumors 68000

Graphics processors are beginning to share the computational load with the main processor. This may be a significant trend if nVidia's plans for General Purpose Graphics Processor Units (GPGPUs) become widely adopted. OS X already uses the GPU for various Quartz Extreme tasks. These are primarily 2D tasks, but could be expanded to utilize a broader spectrum of the graphics processor.

8. whistler222 macrumors 6502

plus the upgrade is only 160 dollars for ADC discount... even more reason to get it :D

9. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

My 2600xt card is just perfect. I feel for everyone with card problems. That said I am having major leopard problems.

10. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

what kind of problems?

11. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Are we so sure it's the video card? I mean, if it is HW related, it could very well be with another component in the system (hard drive, logic board chipset... hell, it could be the power supply). I too am waiting on the 8800, but am also hoping it's perhaps SW related and the 10.5.2 will address many of these issues folks are experiencing. I guess it wouldn't be conclusive to be the graphics card until a mass of folks get a system without the 2600 and we find only those with it are having trouble. That would be conclusive to me.

... or did I miss something?

12. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to just go to the store and walk out with a new Mac Pro. I've been saving my money for a year and it’s finally here, and I finally have the money. It's so hard to hold on...but for $200, it's worth it.

I've always been an Nvidia fan over ATI. (For no apparent reason other than my first "real" video card was Nvidia.) To spend $3000 dollars and a top-of-the-line machine and settle for entry-level graphics doesn’t seem to make much sense. I'm sure the ATI card would probably have been better than any card I've had before, it’s just that the 8800 looks so much better for only another $200.

Plus, if history is to repeat itself, how many people had the last ATI card die on them after just a few months? I heard it was a nightmare.

13. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

My brother-in-law works for nVidia and at his wedding, him and his groom's men made a giant cake with the nVidia logo on the top of it. It was hysterical. Sad thing is, everyone at the wedding (aside from his groom's men and myself) had no idea what nVidia even was (because the wedding was in florida). i'll have to post a picture... but the guys over at nvidia are a riot.

14. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I'd like to see that!

15. wafl iron macrumors regular

because every ati card ive had has caused me issues!

16. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I'm not waiting for that graphic card, I'm waiting for updated displays .

17. Roy macrumors 6502

And what's your estimated ETA of the new ACDs?

18. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I'll see if I can get a picture tonight uploaded.

As are we all.

19. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

You obviously don't work with motion or aperture... the ATI is a lower end GPU. Its fine for most, but will be a bottle neck for me and others.

20. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

oops ...
    what's ETA ?
    As a matter of fact, when you check the buyers guide it states Don't Buy - Updates soon and it's way over time.

21. peejack macrumors 6502a

THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!!

22. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Oh I see, does Apple know about this flickering issue and will upgrading to a 8800 GT mean users will not suffer from the same flickering issue?

23. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

If 50+ are calling about the same issue, Apple knows.

24. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Ok, what are they doing about it?

25. peejack macrumors 6502a

Hopefully trying to diagnose the problem and/or write a firmware/software update for it.