You guys know best - VOTE: deadline Friday to upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rosee, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Rosee macrumors newbie

I bought the upgraded 13" white MB with 2.13 GHz last Friday b/c I couldn't stand that the low-end unibody had worse specs and was more $$.

Now ofcourse, the MacBook Pro 13" is out and I'm thinking of switching and swallowing the $104 restocking fee - my deadline is this Friday.

1) I have been loving my new white MB for the last 8 days, buuuuut - the new 13" 2.26Ghz now has: the lit keyboard, the better battery, and ofcourse is lighter, better looking, and has a better screen than my white mB.

Would you switch? It will cost approx $280 to upgrade + the restocking fee of $104. Lemme know asap! (vote no if you have concerns about the perma battery).

FYI - don't use this comp for games, only watching movies, writing, and other day to day stuff (email) etc. I think the biggest thing is the longer battery life, as I travel often and planes etc. often don't seem to have electricity...

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If the battery life is important to you, the upgrade is worth it.
    You did just get the updated white MacBook though, and a spare battery doesn't cost more than $100 so this route is slightly cheaper.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't. It's almost 400$ for nearly nothing. Spend that 400 cleaverly for another dislpay or external HD etc.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I concur. For nearly $400 it's not worth the extras you'll get with the newer models.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I think the white MacBook is better looking. Apple dropped the ball with the aluminium ones. What were they thinking putting a black keyboard into a silver machine?

If you travel a lot, surely it is better to have a battery which you can access in case it either fails or you are away from power for a long time. The new MacBook Pro's battery is sealed in and cannot be changed easily.

Don't buy into the hype surrounding battery life either. I have the original aluminium MacBook and it claims 5 hours of battery life. I'm lucky if I can get anywhere close to 3. The white MacBook has always had a good, strong battery.

Apart from these pretty minor changes, it's the same as the 2.0GHz MacBook that was on sale when you bought your machine. Think of the reasons why you bought the white one instead of the aluminium one and they will still apply today.

6. Rosee thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm this gives me a lot to think about. There is also the issue about how I would get the iWork and Mac Office O8 on the exchanged computer since I've maxed out the number of available installs on each disc - I wonder if this is something Apple could help me with?