You guys tricked me into believing Apple Maps was good

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dba415, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dba415 macrumors 6502

I've never used Google Maps on my iphone because

1. Apple Maps was good enough
    2. You guys said that it is just as good as Google Maps

Well today I tried google maps for the first time and let's just say I might never go back to apple maps again.

Google Maps is way better than Apple Maps. The navigation alone is light years ahead.

Apple Maps still needs A LOT of work.

2. solodogg macrumors 6502

You guys? Has anyone ever said apple maps was good? Hell, even apple was recommending alternatives for a while.

3. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

Neither are perfect, but in developed countries like the UK or Singapore, Apple Maps is pretty well done (I will only give those examples because I lived there), but when I went to Vietnam, there are so much missing, and Google Maps is perfect. Apple Maps is only starting out, give it some time.

4. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

For the amount of time that Apple Maps has been out, it is great. Do you think Google Maps was "perfect" when it first started? No. Hell no. Google Maps was launched back in 2005. That means its had 9 years to polish itself up. Apple Maps has been live for just about 2 years. It still has a long way to go. I have no problem in believing that Apple Maps will rule all Map apps in a few years.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The problem with that logic is that the goalposts have moved since 2005 when Google Maps was launched. With this sort of apologist view, one could make an argument for Windows Phone having enough apps :rolleyes:

6. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

If you wand a good navigation app buy a proper one like TomTom or Co-pilot. Light years ahead of both google maps and Apple maps. Plus they don't require any data usage.

For everything else apple maps / google maps are fine*

*this is dependant on the coverage where you live. Both Apple and Google have inconsistencies in their maps but it varies from place to place.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't really think this argument really holds water. It's like saying that if some new company brought out a new phone for $600 but it could only make calls and texts, that's fine because that's what it was like in 2005 and they should be given the time to catch up.

Apple Maps had to be as good as Google Maps straight out the gate, and it wasn't. There's literally no point releasing a product that is not even half as good as your competitor. Sure, it may be better now, but that launch has alienated a lot of users.

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You guys?? I'm only using apple maps because I'm in Okinawa, where apple maps works pretty good. anywhere else I'd use google maps. Plus apple maps speaks in English when I'm navigating around opposed to google maps.

9. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

What is the point of this? Troll bait? And why is it in the iOS 8 forum?

10. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Probably. I like how he/she blames the people of macrumors because he/she decided to use an app didn't work for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.