Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joechimy

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2005
American Express baby!!!

god bless amex purchase protection - saved me many times!

Don't make a major purchase without it.

(even the at&t sales rep. says that they've been suggesting people buy their iPhones with an amex card)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I am an Insurance agent... Insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, American Family and many others will not insure you as new business if you have a cliam no matter how big it is.
If you really are an insurance agent, then you should know that Allstate no longer ensures homeowner's insurance. ;) At any rate, typically losses <$750 are "overlooked" and simply considered insignificant.

As for purchase w/ CC coverage, I really don't know about AmEx, but my Visa only extends the manufacturer's warranty such that, if the original warranty does NOT cover accidental damage, neither would Visa's program.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
American Express baby!!!

god bless amex purchase protection - saved me many times!

Don't make a major purchase without it.

(even the at&t sales rep. says that they've been suggesting people buy their iPhones with an amex card)

What benefit is there to buying your iPhone with your Amex card?

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well just got off the phone with State Farm in Seattle. They will do it for 30 a year for coverage, however they don't want you to have any claims in the last 5 years. Just made an insurance claim 6 months ago when both my vehicles were broken into and 2000 worth of tools were stolen, plus CD's and the like.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Is it possible to just call up statefarm and have just a policy on the Iphone?
Nothing to do with your homeowners or car policy since I have those with a different company.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Is it possible to just call up statefarm and have just a policy on the Iphone?
Nothing to do with your homeowners or car policy since I have those with a different company.

Thats what I did, don't have my car or home insurance with state farm (its with allstate). They said they would do it, but they have a stipulation that no claims in last 5 years. However I made a claim like 6 months ago.

ATT*mark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
This idea is kind of crazy to me. Even if you get your insurance company to write a rider for a 600.00 device- do you have any idea what this might do to your insurance (like your homeower's policy) if you ever turned in a claim?

You might get a check for 600.00 for your iPhone and then see your homeowners go up a 100.00 a month for turning in a claim. Not to mention the next time your shopping for a insurace policy and they ask "have you ever turned in a claim in the last 3/5 years?"... you would have to answer yes and explain... and get a higher quote.

An iPhone is not a requirement for people to own and they should be able to absorb the loss of it and replace it if its lost or stolen- of they should not have it in the first place...

the iphone isnt tied into my home insurance policy...i dont even have a policy with state farm other than the iphone.....

with that logic owning a home or owning a car isnt a requirement, so should they absorb the loss ???

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
If you really are an insurance agent, then you should know that Allstate no longer ensures homeowner's insurance. ;) At any rate, typically losses <$750 are "overlooked" and simply considered insignificant.

As for purchase w/ CC coverage, I really don't know about AmEx, but my Visa only extends the manufacturer's warranty such that, if the original warranty does NOT cover accidental damage, neither would Visa's program.

You are wrong. Number 1 Allstate is still insuring houses in Nevada where I am liscensed. All insurance carriers have pulled out of certian states in wake of hurricane katrina 2 years ago. Typically coastal states are the states being pulled. Number 2 Insurance carriers will overlook a small cliam if you are currently with them but they will not overlook even a cliam for $50 if you are going to be new business. Trust me I have had to turn customers away because of one small cliam. Are you in the insurance business?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.