You guys will hate me. Thought your (early 2008) MBP casing is perfect?Test this then

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Son of Matrix, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

Run your fingers, with a piece of microfibre cloth or the cloth that you wipe your MBP with, on the surface of the top casing, do u feel a slight bump? I had....thought my refurbished is perfect.

It's not visible unless I tilt it towards the light, and I noticed a very very slight dent. If I carefully feel it by smoothing it, I can feel that there's slight bump/dent.

I just received my refurbished MBP, it's good overall...I don't think I should return it right? Sometimes, things are not always perfect.

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

refurbished are products that are returned to the manufacter for certain reasons. and as you know they Are used so you shouldnt ever expect a perfect machine coming out of there. if it was brand new and had that bump then i would complain and take it back but if its refurbished, i dont know why you are complaining about that

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Refurbished doesn't mean "perfect but not new". You never know what you are going to get when you order refurb, but something that you have to go through all that work to see/feel isn't worth returning it for. If the software/hardware all work perfectly then don't return it.

4. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

Doesn't sound worth returning in my opinion.

5. Jottle macrumors 6502

A lot of the previous (classic) mbp's have these slight dents on the top case. Mine had four that you only really saw at the right angle. Two on the bottom below the apple logo are the mounts for the hinge. There's also two symmetrical dents at the top left and right in about the same place for where the lcd mounts into the housing. Some mbp's show this worse than others. It looks like there was a weight put on the top lid, but it's just the design. Thing is, you'd have to get your lcd replaced to replace that top lid case. So I almost guarantee apple will say it's within spec. I had the same issue, but ended up returning my mpb for other problems. I've seen other units that have this, and some that you can barely see anything at all. It's a minor issue, but definitely not worth trying to get the whole top lid replaced unless it's very noticeable and distracting. If you want the "perfect" macbook pro, then you can return it. But keep in mind that you won't be able to buy a previous gen mbp from apple again as they aren't selling them. You'll have to go through a reseller, and it may be more of a hassle if your new unit has other problems. For instance, I have a replacement previous gen. mbp that has screen issues, but everything else is awesome (no hissing, crackling, headphone beeps), so I'm just going to get the screen replaced as apple won't do a whole laptop exchange.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

For the price you pay, the refurbs are a great deals, especially ifyour looking for a classic MBP. However if your someone who needs perfection then buying a refurb isn't the way to go.

Personally, I'd prefer my machine to work perfectly, the cosmetic look and feel is a mere second... from general uses, it'll probably gain a few scratches anyway. Unless your just using it as a desktop replacement cause your apartment is slightly bigger than a shoe box.

If you can get over the slight cosmetic imperfections, then enjoy the lovely machine... otherwise if it both's you that much, return it. End of the day, it's up to you.

7. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

my refurb i got a few weeks ago is the same way. i never noticed it, my wife did.

8. unitethenations macrumors member

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

X2. You couldn't feel it until you used a cloth and then when only looking for it and under certain lights. Its fine.

Its a refurb for a reason. Such a small imperfection is worth the 200 bucks.

Live with it and be happy.

10. Kaupa macrumors regular

I guess all macbook pro classic have those dents on the backside of the screen. you see it by looking at it in a tilted angle against the light ;)
    I have my 4th one now and all of them had this (issue?)!

11. Son of Matrix thread starter macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

interesting isn't it? not returning it though because I already fell in love with my MBP. Nothing is perfect. Hence, my post title. :D

I feel apple MBP and white macbook are fragile too except for the blackbook. I think it's more tough.
    Compared to my office laptop, DELL D620, I think it's stronger to withstand minor drop then the mbps and mbs.

12. Son of Matrix thread starter macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

Amazing isn't it...u need to use cloth and certain lights. haha

13. Mackan macrumors 65816

After hearing that Apple likes to void your warranty if they find any dent or bump on your notebook (suggesting that you have dropped it or abused it in some way), I wouldn't accept anything except a perfect notebook casing, refurbished or new.