You have got to be kidding me..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AntiHero574, Jul 20, 2011.

1. AntiHero574 macrumors newbie

I just bought Diablo 2 the other day. Today, I bought Lion and now when I try to play Diablo 2 it says "You can't open the application Diablo 2 because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." So..did I just get screwed out of $20 by buying Diablo? Is there anything I can do?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, Lion has abandoned PowerPC applications. To be able to run such applications, you need to have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, which you can reinstall via the CLEAN INSTALL method.
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

3. AntiHero574 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah okay. Well I don't have an external HD..so I guess I'm sticking with Lion :/
    Sucks big time though that I let $20 go down the drain.

4. AntiHero574 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm confused. What is Crossover? Like steam or something? And would I have to pay more? Sorry for all the questions..haha

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You could also try running it in a VM or bootcamp. Any Windows OS will still run it spectacularly well.

/grumble

6. AntiHero574 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought Diablo 2 off of Blizzard.com as a digital download. I don't mind buying a copy of windows XP..so Diablo will still work on bootcamp even though I used the CD key already?

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Crossover is a paid implementation of WINE which has a nice interface and is pretty easy to use. Basically it puts a windows wrapper around the game, without the need for windows, so it's cheaper and you don't have to reboot. Many games don't work or have problems, but Diablo II has a Gold rating so it should be flawless.

Advantages of Bootcamp is that it offers the best compatibility for games, but it's inconvenient and the most expensive.

Yes, your CD key will never become "used," you can install in either platform as many times as you want. You just can't go on battle.net at the same time on more than one computer with one key.

8. piratepete macrumors newbie

Also experiencing the same problem installed LION a few days ago and just downloaded d2 and lod digitals from the battle net site and can't install them :/

If I was to get crossover would I then have to re download d2 and lod in the windows and not mac versions?

Sounds easier to go buy a cheap external HD with snow leopard and run it from that or am I reading this thread wrong?

9. filosoph macrumors newbie

Posting threat

Hi Reader

Excuse the ignorance

How do I post a new thread?

Thanks for taking a peek

10. simsaladimbamba

Select an appropriate forum here.
    Find the NEW THREAD button (at the top and bottom of the thread list) looking like this: [​IMG]
    Use an appropriate and descriptive thread title and follow the guidelines in this thread:

Did that help?

11. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Vm

Anyone tried running SL on a VM such as VirtualBox? VirtualBox appears to be able to do that on Apple HW.

With a VM you'd at least get to run it without a reboot or having to buy a copy of Windows for a Win7 VM.