"You have mail." when using terminal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ideal.dreams, May 13, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Hey guys,

Every time I open terminal, I get the message "you have mail." I am able to type in "mail" and press enter and I can see a bunch of messages from the system. How do I get rid of this? It looks like they're being created because I deleted an App that Time Machine is still trying to backup. This has no relation to ClamAV, as it has never been installed on my system.

A new message has been created every day since the end of April, totaling in at 15 messages. Each one is the same, just with different time/date stamps. Even if I am able to delete the messages, it looks like a new one will appear each day, so I need to fix the problem at its root.

Any help is appreciated!

2. xyzzy-xyzzy macrumors member

I cannot help you with the the repeated sending of those emails but when you type 'mail' into terminal and it lists the unread messages it should have a number listed near the start of each unread message. If the first one is 1 and the last is 15, type the following on mail's prompt line:

d 1-15

Then quit (q) mail.

FWIW if you do a google search for "The Mail Reference Manual" you can get a pdf for mail. You can also type ? into mail to get a brief help display of its commands.

3. ideal.dreams, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I figured out how to delete them prior to your post, but they come back every day at 2200 hours. Time Machine is trying to backup an application that doesn't exist anymore and it's creating an error, which is mailed to terminal.

Anyone know how to make Time Machine stop looking for the app that doesn't exist?