iPod touch You have to pay $10 for the 2.1 update?

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Have we not learned from now that the big updates we will have to buy from apple. Either buy it or don't. Are we going to hear this all the time we have to buy the new updates?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Presumably there will be a way to dodge paying anyhow, through a reset and getting given the option to get 2.1 - wasn't there a way to do that with the update to 2.0? Anyhow -you might get future 2.x updates for free. A fiver ain't that bad really. Don't have to download and pay if you don't think it's worth it...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Angry Geek stop calling people trolls. the legal reason is $$$. You Apple mark.
It's not really a legal reason but you're still a troll. It's accounting as someone else actually stated.

Whether you find value in the upgrade fee or not is entirely up to you. If you own a touch and $10 is hard to come by then I question how responsible you are with your finances overall.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Um, "decided to charge for accounting simplification reasons" would be more accurate.

But, yeah, why should people pay to upgrade from 1 to 2.0 but not pay to upgrade from 1 to 2.1?
Lots of potential reasons...
Maybe Apple considers X.y to X.(y+1) upgrades minor, unpaid upgrades, whereas they consider X.y to (X+1).y upgrades major, paid upgrades.

Alternatively, maybe they accounted for the revenue they generated through the 1.x to 2.x upgrade over the course of several years, so that GAP allows them to offer free upgrades subsequently.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The charge to iPod Touch owners is obviously bad business. For anyone with a $399 16gb 1st gen Touch who is still running 1.? firmware, you're now going to have to pay another $10 to make your (now $409) Touch almost as good as a new $299 16gb Touch. Double slap in the face.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
The charge to iPod Touch owners is obviously bad business. For anyone with a $399 16gb 1st gen Touch who is still running 1.? firmware, you're now going to have to pay another $10 to make your (now $409) Touch almost as good as a new $299 16gb Touch. Double slap in the face.
What? Your logic doesn't make any sense. Yes the newer models are cheaper, the price drop has been expected for a while. It costs $10 to upgrade to 2.0 due to accounting purporses, I don't know why anyone would be running 1.xx in the first place, 2.1 is quite stable. Early adopters always get screwed over, that's life.

shizzlegtx

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Orlando, FL
It's not really a legal reason but you're still a troll. It's accounting as someone else actually stated.

Whether you find value in the upgrade fee or not is entirely up to you. If you own a touch and $10 is hard to come by then I question how responsible you are with your finances overall.
That has nothing to do with anything. You don't pay for OSX updates, why pay for an update for an ipod?

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
um... you guys do know that it's free if you already payed for 2.0, right?

Besides, if it's that huge of a deal google ipod 2.1 firmware.

there ya go >.>

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
That has nothing to do with anything. You don't pay for OSX updates, why pay for an update for an ipod?
The 2.0 update is more of an OS upgrade than a bug fix. It's like going from Windows XP to Windows Vista, which you have to pay for. 2.0 to 2.1 is more like a service pack, which is free.

shizzlegtx

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Orlando, FL
I know there are ways around paying for the upgrade, thats not the point.

Were in dangerous territory. Paying to upgrade the firmware on a device? Whats next? Having to pay for updates for itunes?

drmario

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008

Were in dangerous territory. Paying to upgrade the firmware on a device? Whats next? Having to pay for updates for itunes?
Of course not. They sell stuff on iTunes.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

How is that unusual? Maybe not for iTunes, but lots of software does that. You have to pay to upgrade Office:Mac 2004 to 2008. Or, as I just went through recently, you buy version 3.x of software X, they come out with version 4.0, you have to pay to upgrade. 4.1, 4.2, and so on are free updates if you already own 4.0.

Or did you expect to buy a software package once and expect free updates for life?