You haven't bricked it!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Tokiopop, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Many people are trying to Jailbreak their iPod Tocuh 2nd Gens now, and so of course there are going to be lots of "0MFG i BRIXED MEH IpOD111!one!!elven11@@@@@:mad::mad::mad::mad:" threads.

The fact is that it is not bricked. It would very *very* hard to brick an iPod or iPhone completely. You might be worried that iTunes isn't seeing your iPod, or it's not turning on. But all you need to do is a proper DFU mode restore. (Note: If the iPod has a white screen it's most probably in Pre-Jailbreak mode, which a few of the iPod Touch 2G jailbreaks require. If you're iPod has a white screen don't worry, it's a part of the process. So just continue with the Jailbreak)

1. Turn the iPod off and make sure it's disconnected
      [*]Connect it to your computer with iTunes open as you hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons (you might need an extra pair of hands for this. You've got less than 2 seconds to do this part)
      [*]Keep holding them for another 10 seconds and DO NOT LET GO
      [*]Release the Sleep/Wake button but keep hold of the Home button for a further 10 seconds (or until your computer recognizes it)

The iPod is now in DFU mode, and should have a black screen, and shouldn't respond. iTunes will say it has detected an iPod in recovery mode, then simply click Restore and restore to original Apple firmware. Once it's done the iPod should be fully working again.

Now you can attempt to Jailbreak again, but make sure you meet all the requirements and follow the instructions carefully. And if you've tried any other Jailbreak (like a tethered one) I would recommend you do a DFU restore before doing the new un-tethered Jailbreak

Most of you probably knew this, but if not I'm glad to have helped in some way. If you have any problems I'll try my best to help, just try not to make another thread! :p Happy hacking! :D

Note: This will work with both iPods and iPhones.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

3. phineasboggs macrumors newbie

Will this work with "erased all content and settings??"

I have been told I'm SOL because I don't know my eBay purchase firmware, and that if I do anything, I'll be bricked. So . . . I'm bricked anyway.

Help

(please forgive hijack)

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

no, you just have to restore it initunes, when it is linked to your itunes account, it wont be bricked.

on a side note, the only way to brick it is with 3.0, and corrupting the memory.... but thats a whole nother story.....

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

what if I chucked a brick at my iPod would it be bricked then? :D

6. phineasboggs macrumors newbie

I'll keep trying!

Right now, I'm traveling and the G3 is home, but I'll work on it again when I return tomorrow.

I'm new to iPhones, (duh) and using a G2 as I travel, and I'm getting more familiar with it.

Thanks for the tips!

7. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

well, uh..... yeah, it would be bricked in a physical sense but not a software sense

8. phineasboggs macrumors newbie

Will it work with Tmobile?

I just read that G3 doesn't work with T-Mobile. Or at least, that it cannot utilize the G3 signals.

Assuming this (or something similar to this as I don't totally understand these issues) is true, does it make sense to use a G3 if and when I get it upgraded?

Or should I re-eBay it and just continue to use my temporary and quite functional G2?

9. phineasboggs macrumors newbie

I'm working on it

I followed your instructions. All went well, and iTunes checked it in. I said to restore, and very quickly told me it was now up to date, and to check back on April 12.

Too quickly. Made me nervous, as I had upgraded a 2G last week.

So, instead of going immediately to restore again, I opted to check it out. And, just for the heck of it, insert my SIM card.

Funnily enough, when I turned it on, it told me (correctly) that I have voicemail.

But when I slid the unlock, it just gives me an icon of a USB to iTunes, and an emergency call.

So, here I'll go again.

AH Seems to have worked. Now to QuickPwn?

Hmmm. I'll want to copy my settings from the G2. That'll be next.

10. Frechetta93 macrumors newbie

Yeah I think I might have bricked it, because when I try and put it into DFU mode it still says its unrecognizable, so it never goes into DFU. Every single freaking un-bricking tutorial has said "duuhhh... hold down power and uh... home for 10 secs each and then uh... it'll be fine.... duh..." and no, it isn't fine. So help me with that, and i'll personally hand you a cookie.

EDIT: It has been fixed! But for my problem you do have to put it into DFU mode, but you have to stop holding the power right at 10 seconds and your not supposed to see the USB device not recognized, then keep holding home for exactly 8 seconds. Then it works! YAY. Sorry for the trouble.

11. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Hahahaha. That makes me laugh.

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you do realise that whole statement right there proves your device is not bricked right? Do you even understand the term bricked?

a bricked device is one that does not turn on at all no power nothing even after trying to charge the device and it still does not turn on THEN! and only then is it a bricked device.

just because it wouldn't go into DFU does not mean its bricked :rolleyes: