'You inserted a blank DVD'.....but it's not blank!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hello.there, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Evening all,

Seems like this has been a common enough problem but I can't find a solution anywhere. I copied some stuff from my DVD Recorder on to a disc (and let the recorder finalise the disc) and then put the disc in my iMac - as the title says, it tells me the DVD is blank, when it's not.

Has anyone who has had this problem solved it?

I had Superdrive trouble before and ended up having to reinstall Leopard (permissions problems, or something like that), really don't want to have to do that again.

I've tried several different discs/brands, same problem.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You said DVD recorder - is this a dvd recorder for your TV? ...And I'm assuming the recorder doesn't have any problems playing the disk, right?

Do you have another computer (Mac or Windows) that you can use to test the disk (to ensure that it is actually readable)?

Have you ever been successful playing disks from this recorder on your computer?

3. joefinan macrumors 6502a

You need to finalise the DVD in your recorder before it'll play in your computer.

4. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Hi EricNau, yep, it's a DVD Recorder (Pioneer) for my TV. No problems playing any of these discs in the recorder itself or on my Dell desktop and laptop, they work fine, but it's the first time I've tried to play one on my iMac. Found a few threads on the Apple discussion section about the same problem, but no one had a solution.

5. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Did that, but no joy. Thanks.

6. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Is it wrong to bump? :eek: Really desperate for help here, trying to make a very special dvd for someone as a Christmas gift, so I'm beginning to panic!