You know those angel/devil on your shoulders in cartoons and such?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imahawki, Aug 1, 2011.

1. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Here's your chance to play them.

About 3-4 years ago I ditched by desktop PC and got a laptop. It was more convenient, could be put away and out of sight and obviously, was portable.

About 2 years ago I got DEEP into digital photography and bought a desktop for photo editing that I would place just on the high side of mid-grade. At that point I only used the laptop for web surfing.

About a year ago I got an iPad and pretty much quit using the laptop. I offered it to my wife who had an even older WinXP laptop with a smaller screen but she had everything the way she liked it and never really used my laptop even though it was considerably better (but objectively not great) hardware.

About 3 months ago I decided I wanted to make the leap to Mac and bought a Mac Mini to test the waters. I was instantly hooked and when the 2011 iMacs came out I sold the mini for $100 less than I paid and bought a 27" 3.4GHz i7 iMac.

In May I bought my wife a 15" MacBook Pro that she loves. The little I've used of it have me assured it is the best laptop I've EVER used (did I say ever?)! Its sweet.

About a month ago I installed Ubuntu on my old laptop and gave it to my kids. They still don't really use it mostly because I can't get Ubuntu to log in without a password and there aren't really the educational games available like there are for Mac and Windows (the love the games on the demo iMacs in the Apple store).

So if you're still with me, I'm back to only having a desktop really (plus the iPad) and I've been lusting over the new Airs (from playing with them in the store and using my wife's MackBook Pro). My wife and I do an "allowance" arrangement to keep discretionary spending in check and eliminate arguments about what the money is specifically spent on. If I get an Air it will pretty much eat up all the fun money I've saved up so no photography gear or other fun toys for me for quite a while but I kinda want one.

Do your worst devil/angel impressions!

2. The Expert macrumors newbie

Bad angel: No USB 3.0 port, non-HD webcam, (Although, I heard that if they would put in an hd camera the panel would become bulky so I guess that's a compromise I can live with.) expensive, complaints about beach balls when using the mac app store, non-instant wake up with Lion, (usually takes 5-10 seconds in order for your curser to become responsive after you put the laptop to sleep.) small top row keys (I believe they are referred to as the "FN" keys)

Good angel: Light as a feather, cool as a cucumber, easy on the eyes and certainly causes people's heads to turn when they see it, decent screen, (I've personally seen worse) SSD, long battery life, and the liberty of being able to say "I can make it through this long bus/car/train/plane ride!" (to an extent)

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

I think the good angel was suppose to talk him out of it and instead spend that money else where, like a trip for his family, while the bad angel was suppose to convince him to go ahead and splurge on himself cause he deserves it for all his hard work.

4. The Expert macrumors newbie

I guess that would make more sense now wouldn't it?
    Either way, I think he gets the point.

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

6. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's just OK. There are always things I want. I have a 50 and 85 f/1.8, 28-75 f/2.8 and a 70-300.

7. newair2 macrumors newbie

Well, since you said you didn't really use the old laptop since getting your desktop and iPad you probably don't need the MacBook air and should spend the money on lenses or the like.
    On the other hand, I just got a high end gaming laptop at Christmas and the iPad2 the week it came out, but had to have the new air. (I love it. 13" base model):D So I won't be getting any new toys for awhile either!
    Good luck with your decision.

8. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

You guys haven't done a good enough job torturing me with pros and cons :) For the record, I quit using the laptop not only because of then iPad and new desktop but also because it was a slow, heavy toshiba with poor battery life a crappy trackpad, etc. I like using a laptop, just good laptops.

9. pruhawk macrumors member

Its your "Fun Money" which I assume means you get to spend it on anything.

Therefore its for what you want, in the priority you want it.

Bad Angel

Send your money to me, I could use a new 27 inch imac. :D

Good Angel

Buy your new air and take pictures for us to see :apple:

10. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have trouble pulling the trigger. When I wanted my iMac I brought it up to my close coworker friends and kind of made them egg me on. I went and bought it that same night.