Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
hmmfe said:
What a pathetic waste of time and resources. Nothing more than morbit titilation along the lines of killing puppies (for scientific education purposes I'm sure).

Bug's gotta eat.

I saw this awhile back and I'm not shocked at all, my family (mom especially) was a bit of a collector of animals, especially the unusual ones. The closest thing I had to a giant centipede was a rather large tarantula I found on the road once. I've had a pair of iguanas, a couple of chameleons (poor things are so hard to take care of, both of them died. :( ) a bearded dragon or two and various frogs and newts etc. I also bred praying mantises once, the babies are so tiny! :eek: My mom also had quite a bit of birds and a 125 gallon saltwater fish tank so I am certainly no stranger to unusual diets.
Like Aeolius mentioned, some animals simply won't eat dead ones, their behaviour and their diet requires live things to munch on. Some of the various animals I've kept would only eat live bugs (crickets mostly), at least the non-vegetarian ones. The only time I fed a lizard a dead animal was when I had to force-feed my bearded dragon because she wouldn't eat after she had to have surgery. :(
I miss having the opportunity to have interesting pets but I really don't have the time or the patience to take care of them anymore, especially some of the more fickle ones.

Okay, that's enough of me getting nostalgic for now.

digitdean

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
As an owner of a cricket-munching leopard gecko, I can proudly say that I am a member of the resistance against insects.
But wait... centipedes aren't insects.
I can proudly say that I am responsible for the cold-blooded murders of thousands of insects.
But seriously, screw crickets.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Bottom line, this is how it happens in the wild.
Even the deadest frozen mice were alive at one point and were killed to be fed to something. So how is that any better than feeding them live mice?

You can say its animal cruelty all you want, but when you're staring down a Lion in the Savanna, he's not going to show you the same ***** respect.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Koodauw said:
Yeah, I would guess in real life that mouse smokes the bug in a race for its life.

That's not what I meant. :eek:

In real life the mouse has a realistic chance of getting away, in real life no one is pushing the mouse towards a certain death. Give the mouse a chance that's all I'm saying.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
iBlue said:
gross. just gross. sorry but if i see one of those it will be staring down the business end of my shoe. ;) that's the reality of "the food chain" and i reserve my right to be a destructive human in this case. i have the same level of empathy for spiders and other such insects. <shudders>

You must have big feet because Im pretty sure my shoes wouldnt do much damage to that thing! ;)

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
This thread needed something cute and cuddly....

so here's Chadwick...our ragdoll...

Hickman

Attachments

• Chadwick.jpg
    Chadwick.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.