You may not use your Service connection to host a dedicated Internet server site.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dmmcintyre3, Jul 30, 2009.

1. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Does this mean I cannot run a website from my internet?

http://worldnet.att.net/general-info/terms-dsl-data.html and search for server and you will see this

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Hmm, I would take that as you cant allow people to host on your site.

So people wouldn't sign up to your service, you host their pages, because this would take revenue off at&t, even though, technically, they would also be hosting the 3rd party.

3. dmmcintyre3 thread starter macrumors 68020

That was what I was thinking... Cannot run web host.

But can I host say a forum for my family to use + a blog for me?

Would allowing my family that does not live in my house to have a blog on this internet be against the rules?

But I still think a 667 MHz computer with 512 MB RAM would be better than a 3.2 GHz server with 64 GB RAM hosting 1,443 domains. (and who knows how many free subdomains off that server)

That's 2 MHz per domain

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

That would be perfectly fine, I'd imagine, sinply because that is expected beaviour for users of your website.

It would be different if you allowed them to set up subdomains on your site, with like 100megs of space, Mysql Admin previlages, and server sides scripting languages.

You can always send them them an email/call with your query and see wha they say.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes. But they never care as long as the traffic is very light. Most home servers see only a few hits per week. AT&T is fine with that.

Don't ask them. They will recite their policy. But ultra-low traffic site never even make it to their radar sceen, they don't notice.