You mean I might not be Leopard ready??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jazhawk, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Jazhawk macrumors member

I'm a noob when it comes to Mac and I got my first one last week. Used but seems to be up to the tasks and in good shape. Runs very quiet.

But I do want to upgrade to Leopard when it drops. I already did a pre-order at Fry's and got this toy Leopard thing for 10 bucks.

Anyway shortly afterwards, I started to read stories that my G4 might not be enough.

It's a PowerPC G4 733 MHZ with 1.25 Gig of SDRAM, two drives. One 110 gig and the other 20 gig. GForce2 MX AGP, 32meg.

I'm amazed how quickly I took to this thing although I hate this keyboard. But since I got it, I have not booted my Windows box once. I've heard stories like that but thought they just wanted to hate on Microsoft but maybe not.

Anyway, will it run?

-Jazhawk

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its not officially supported and even if it runs, it won't be smooth...

3. projectle macrumors 6502

If you upgrade the graphics card to something that has full Quartz Extreme support, you should not have an issue.

You will however need to do some "tweaks" to the installer to allow for you to install.

That is unless you or a friend have another Mac that you can use to push the install from.

I have it running with no issues on a G3 Tower with an upgraded graphics card.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The GeForce 2 MX supports Quartz Extreme.

6. Jazhawk thread starter macrumors member

I can get a card but what tweaks would I need to do? Is there a link somewhere or can you post it here?

-Jazhawk

7. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

Sorry nope. For a first Mac, you should have gotten one not so old.

8. Jazhawk thread starter macrumors member

Are you techincal or just reading the specs?

This isn't upgradable? Can this board support a faster processor or don't you know?

-Jazhawk

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can upgrade the processor but you'd be better off to get a new(er) machine.

10. Jazhawk thread starter macrumors member

Are you familier with hardware?

-Jazhawk

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes, very.

12. Jazhawk thread starter macrumors member

I mean board level. Because if the requirement is G5, why won't an upgrade on the board work?

-Jazawk

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The requirement is not a G5, it's an 867 MHz G4. I expect that Leopard will run (possibly with the help of XPostFacto) but might not be speedy.

14. pscoble macrumors 6502

Uhh...seriously..trying to put a G5 in that thing is a total waste of money and probably time and the minium requirement for a G4 is 867 Mhz that would probably be more "possible" then trying to shoehorn a G5 in there but ether way your are spending money on something that is just a quite old piece of hardware.

15. Jazhawk thread starter macrumors member

It's old I suppose but man this thing runs soooo smooooth. I'm a noob with a mac but even at this age of a computer it's damn smooth. The only thing I'm still having problems with is installing this second printer that's on my network. A Brother MFC-440CN. I downloaded the drivers but because it's DHCP, this mac cannot find it for some odd reason.

But other than that it runs well.

I'll just have to be patient then because I can't upgrade my hardware right now. But thanx for the heads up all.

-Jazhawk

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's either a Digital Audio or a Quicksilver.

That's more then likely Quartz Extreme.

17. Queso macrumors G4

I take it from the specs that this is a Power Mac G4 in which case the processor can be upgraded up to a 2GHz G4, easily enough for Leopard.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Then you're halfway to the cost of a Mac mini for a CPU upgrade. :rolleyes:

19. Queso macrumors G4

Not if you buy a 1.25GHz one off eBay :)

20. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Mac-mini would be a far better way to spend your money, than an upgrade to an aging Powermac.
    Even if you upgrade the CPU and videocard (about $400 for a Core-image card and bottom of the line CPU), you're still not going to approach the kind of performance and compatibility you'd get with a $599 Mac-mini.

21. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

i want a leopard...we geta leopard tshirt - wowee

22. Jazhawk thread starter macrumors member

I can see where the dollars to upgrade this box won't make a lot of sense. Unless I get a good processor really dirt cheap. This box cost me as configured, 80 bucks without a monitor. Which I don't need.

But I got in the Mac game partly because of my disappointment with Vista, (or as I call it, Windows ME in a skirt) but mainly because of OS X. When I saw Leopard I was hooked. But I have to wait for conditions to improve for Leopard.

Again, thanks all.

-Jazhawk