' You must restart your computer ' after updating to 10.7.2

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SXR, Oct 17, 2011.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

So after I updated to 10.7.2 my iMac is doing some weird stuff. It happend to me twice now. I was just watching a podcast in iTunes and suddenly it freezes, the screen gets a bit darker and it's telling me ( in several languages ) that I need to restart my computer by holding down the power button. I can't dismiss this message or anything! Once my machine is back up , it allows me to report something to apple because my system shut down because of an ' error ' .

Any ideas?

2. Zh2 macrumors member

3. SXR, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Oh no..... that sucks

Would I be able to just make a time machine backup, reinstall Lion and restore the time machine backup?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Don't you have a pre-10.7.2 backup? I never run any software update without first making a clone copy in case something goes wrong.

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

Can you post the contents of some of the panic logs?

It's highly unlikely that reinstalling the software is going to fix your problem unless you've explicitly broken the OS by doing something you shouldn't be doing. It's far more likely that you have a hardware problem causing these kernel panics.

6. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thanks for your reply. Where can i find the panic logs? I didnt do anything that i wasnt supposed to do on my iMac

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

KP logs are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

How you get there is open a Finder Window, hold down the Option key and click the Go Menu and you will see Library, click that and navigate to the diagnostic report.

However it's possible you just need to restart in Safe Mode to clear a corrupt cache. Please look over:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392