You must restart your computer error message out of nowhere

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gollumxcore, Oct 19, 2009.

1. gollumxcore macrumors newbie

Hey guys

this is my first post here...and i hate that it has to be on these terms. however, my mac mini today just out of no where popped up with an error message stating

"you must restart your computer...." and so on in several different languages. im not a total noob...so this shouldnt be racking my brain like this. ive read every website and forum relating to this subject, and nothing anyone has to say seems to help. i understand this is a kernel error

this message pops up quicker sometimes than others. sometimes it pops up at the blue screen just before my computer prompts me for my password. sometimes, it lets me log into my computer, then the error message will appear. and sometimes...it wont even make it to the blue screen, it just gives me a grey screen then the error message. ive tried booting in safe mode...and it lets me log in, loads my icons and my desktop, then as soon as i click a single click on the mouse, the message pops back up. ive read some people saying to try reinstalling osx, or to try loading the install disc and repairing some things. i cant get the computer to even seem to boot the disc when i put it in. im trying to avoid reinstalling osx...but if i have to reinstall osx, then i will.

i did NOT install anything, upgrade anything, change any system files, change any hardware or anything. i was just downloading a torrent, left my house for a bit, came back and the error message was there.

im a graphic designer with work that needs to be done...i can't have a broken computer haha. does anyone have any clue what to do?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sounds like a hardware issue then. No luck holding down Option to bring up the boot manager after the tone?

3. gollumxcore thread starter macrumors newbie

which option should i pick? the mac hd or the mac dvd?

4. gollumxcore thread starter macrumors newbie

so i held down option at boot, first time...it asked me what i wanted to boot from, i picked the dvd...it asked me which language i wanted to run install in...i selected english...went to the bathroom right quick...and my computer was just turned off. strange. i tried again, then it never even got to the screen asking me what language i wanted...it just went to the "you must restart your computer" thing....so i turned it off, tried again...now im trying to just reinstall osx...this is pissing me off haha, so im just gonna try to reinstall while i can...see what happens.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Did you even read the link I gave you?

6. gollumxcore thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i tried that and it woldnt respond to anything when i would hold the d key...i tried several different times in several different ways

7. gollumxcore thread starter macrumors newbie

i was installing the os....it was verifying the disc or whatever for like 30 minutes...it finished...then it went to a screen saying

"install failed

mac os x could not be installed on your computer

the installer could not validate the contents of the 'BaseSystem' package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

click restart to restart your computer and try installing again"

......im lost.

8. gollumxcore thread starter macrumors newbie

new update....so i tried the apple hardware test again.

it worked this go round...tested and showed an alert.

4MEM/4/40000000: 14118cf8

Pass Number: 1,
    Total Time Testing: 2 secs

9. sine-nomine macrumors regular

I think that means there is a problem with your RAM. You might try reseating it. Are you still under warranty just in case it's something serious?

10. gollumxcore thread starter macrumors newbie

you mean open the case up and like taking the ram out and putting it back in?

11. kolax macrumors G3

Yes - RAM can sometimes become slightly misaligned in the socket. Pop it out, give it a quick blow in case there is any dust in the socket or on the RAM pins and pop it back in.