"you must turn off your computer now"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4lisawriter, Jan 31, 2011.

1. 4lisawriter macrumors newbie

4lisawriter

black box came up twice tonight while i was moving pictures from my jump flash. once while i had the ethernet plugged in and once w/out. message says: "YOU MUST HOLD DOWN THE BUTTON UNTIL YOUR COMPUTER TURNS OFF" so i did it and each time it asks me if i want to report to apple. i clicked yes. question is: will apple tell me what it is? I'm not sure i've registered my MAC w/ apple yet (bought it used). how do i do that?

i know. lots of questions. LOL

any help would be appreciated in advance.

kindly,

Lisa:)

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

That's a kernel panic, looking that up should hopefully help you figure out the problem! Good luck!

3. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Yep, Kernel Panic. I just got my Kernel Panic issue resolved a few days ago! Kernel Panics usually relate to 1) Hardware related issues 2) Software related issues. Most common is defective RAM. The reason my MBP kept getting Kernel Panics was due to a bad logic board. What you need to do is take your computer to Apple and ask them to check your "Console Log" and that should hopefully tell you what the problem is. This repair is quite expensive, ranging around $569ish bucks. If your MB is still under warranty, they will fix it for free. It took me two times to have them actually replace the logic board. The first time they told me to do a clean install and see if that fixes the problem. The second time I told them everything they told me to do didn't work. The MacRumors community pretty much told me that they would replace the logic board and they were right.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I got some kernel panics a while back due to bad ram. took out the bad ram and hasn't happened since.

5. 4lisawriter thread starter macrumors newbie

4lisawriter

'

TY smallnshort. I JUST received a new logic board a week before these panic kernels began. You would think that apple would have looked at my ram. LOL But I will ask them about this now. Thanks so much.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

You'd think so, but I've had a computer returned to me sans optical drive before.