You need a mouse with a new Mac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pinksteady, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Hi all,

I've just purchased my first Mac - a Mac mini, from an Apple store.

I chose to accompany it with a wireless keyboard and magic trackpad (NOTE: no mouse). This seemed like a fairly awesome prospect as the mac was to be purely used plugged into the tv and a trackpad was preferable to a mouse when sitting on a sofa.

However, I was unable to start my Mac without plugging in a mouse. As the mac only recognises the trackpad once it has booted up (and perhaps done a system update I can't remember now), I got stuck on the "turn on your mouse" screen until I dug up an old USB mouse and plugged it in.

So, be warned sofa-dwellers, you need a mouse to start using your new Mac!

2. BurningJah macrumors regular

That's correct! you're mac needs the new 10.6.4 in order to work! I upgrades my machine from a 10.5 to a 10.6.4 in order to work with the trackpad! And I just love it!
    But I think when you're mac has the new 10.6.4 you're machine will recognise the hardware and will work with it! that Is something I don't know

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

This happens to me when I change the batteries in my magic mouse. The iMac won't recognize it automatically- I have to get out my old mighty mouse and make it connect manually.

4. midnightvii macrumors member

you might need to plug in a regular USB mouse. Update, then ditch the mouse.

5. Pinksteady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Yep, that's exacty what I did, as described in my post!

6. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

That sucks. Apple really should have thought of this.

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

All Mac Minis that were manufactured after the release of 10.6.4 will come pre-loaded and work with the Magic Trackpad out of the box. The OP's Mac Mini was clearly manufactured before the release of 10.6.4.

How could Apple have thought of a solution to this before the software was released?

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Triple-click on your Magic Mouse after changing the batteries, it should connect without issue.

9. obey908 macrumors 6502a

I just bought an iMac on Saturday and couldn't set it up with my trackpad, not a big deal since it comes with a magic mouse, but would have been nice to use the track pad

10. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

READ THIS - it was right here on Macrumors. Now, its a known fact that if your new Mac doesn't have the updated software, you'll have to install the update to use the Magic Trackpad. All this means was that the OP's mini was built and packaged BEFORE the update was released.