You need a US iTunes account...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by David N, Apr 4, 2010.

1. David N macrumors member

I drove 800 miles from Canada to get my iPad yesterday, now that im home I find out I need a us iTunes account to download any apps.

I have a couple US iTunes gift cards, but from what I can tell I need a us credit card, which I do not hVe. Is there any way I can make a us account to tide me over until we can actually use this thing?:p

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes you can make an US account and then fund it with iTunes gift cards. People do this all the time.

3. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Yes. Thats extremely easy to do. Just go to US store using this link (or by selecting US as the country in your iTunes) and try to download any free app. It'll ask you to log in or create an account. Just create a new account with "None" as your payment option. You'll need some US address to use here. Google will find you quite a few ;)

4. Jeeters macrumors newbie

I live in the UK and was thinking of having a friend pick one up for me while they are in the States, this week. So what issues are you having with needing a US Itunes account? Will the US ones only let you log in with a US ITunes account? If so, then importing one would not be such a good idea for me, as I use the UK store. What happens if you sync your iPad with your Canadian account? Thanks so much for any info you have.

5. foreignconcepts macrumors member

I'd be curious as to exactly what you need the US iTunes account for too. I'm a Canadian that's gearing up for another chunk of my time spent in the US, so I'll probably get an iPad when I am down there, but this account issue would be an important factor in the decision as to whether to buy in the US or Canada. I use my Canadian iTunes account on my US iPhone, so this is something I'd like to know about before I put too much $$ into purchasing apps on my CDN account that cannot be transferred (ie - TomTom Maps and other expensive things).

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

All the iPad apps are block in the Canadian iTunes site. In other words, only the US iTunes sites has any iPad apps at the moment.

7. mrklaw macrumors 65816

isn't that just for accessing the app store directly from the ipad? As there is no canadian ipad store yet that makes sense.

Can't you still access the ipad store on a computer and sync stuff across? I thought the international stores already had ipad stuff on there, and of course you have your normal apps too

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Let me try again.

On the computer, when you sign in with your Canadian account, you are directed to the Canadian store only, you can't buy anything in the US store with a Canadian account. Not even free apps, and so no iPad apps.

On the iPad itself, when you sign in with your Canadian account, you can't even open the 'App Store' app. It'll block you from entering it.

9. Aberen macrumors newbie

But that still means he can buy iPad apps from the canadian App Store (On his computer) and then sync it to his iPad right?

10. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I'm a canadian with an iPad. Here's what happens:

-You cant use App Store application. It will quit saying "Appstore is not available in your country".
    -You CAN buy apps from iTunes for Mac. The only apps not available in Canada are apps from Apple. That means no iWork, no iBooks , etc.
    -There is no way to get a top 100 or whatever iPad stuff.
    -The only way to get iPad stuff is to search for it in the search box.

If you have any questions, I can answer.

BTW, I keep my Canadian account because when it releases over here, I'll be normal again and be able to use my CC, no cards involved. Plus, I spent hundreads of dollars on iPhone stuff that I still want to keep. Some apps like logmein are the same one for iPhone/iPad.

11. Aberen macrumors newbie

Thanks man, was worried there for a second. The only app i see myself using that is for some reason not in the international ipad store is the eBay app. i want it :/

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No, there are no iPad apps in the Canadian store, even accessing from iTunes on the computer... at least not at the moment until iPads are released in Canada.

By the way, if you do buy apps with your US account, you won't be able to transfer them over. You'll have to buy them again with your Canadian account, if you want all apps in one account. Otherwise you'll have to keep both accounts authorized on your computer in the future.

13. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

silverblack, did I find Worms HD, GoodreaderHD and FieldRunnersHD in the Special Todvader store? Read my post, you're wrong.

Aberen, I did notice that eBay only has it available to US too :( I guess we'll get it at the end of the month!

14. Aberen macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's not true though. Many of the international app stores are filled with iPad apps. We just don't have the device yet.

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

16. moony1234 macrumors member

I just change my country rather than having 2 accounts, apps stay no matter what.

17. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I could change to US account and use cards AND keep my Canadian bought apps?

18. Geoffrois macrumors newbie

Thank you for the tip sir. Worked well for me. This will be very useful.

19. Baltika09 macrumors member

It's actually quite simple,

1. the iPad is only available for sale in the US. iTunes' US store is the only store CURRENTLY selling all iPad apps. Once the iPad becomes available in Canada (or the UK, Germany, etc) the Canadian iTunes store will begin selling iPad specific apps. This means that being based in Canada, and while you've managed to get an iPad, you can only shop in the Canadian iTunes store.

2. Persons are only able to make purchases in the iTunes store of the country they have a bank account debit/credit card in. You can create a US account as stated previously, but will have to rely on gift cards to purchase iPad specific apps UNTIL the iPad becomes available in your country ( late April, supposedly). Afterwards, all iPad apps will be available in your own country's store. (unless you have a US creditcard or bank account)

3. There are several types of apps currently in the iTunes store: A. iPhone/iPod touch only apps, B. Apps made for iPhone/iPod that have been updated to include an iPad revised edition, C. Apps designed for, and exclusively sold for iPad.
    Apps appearing in foreign iTunes stores now, in countries where the iPad is still not available ( rest of planet) are most likely the apps that were made for iPhone/iPod and have been updated to include both versions in one program. For this reason you might see them appearing in iTunes stores outside the US (though that's not 100% certainty). I doubt apps are appearing in foreign iTunes stores that were made exclusively for iPad and are seperate purchases.

So to answer your question, you WILL BE able to purchase apps for iPad on teh Canadian store soon, but most likely not until iPad has it's official release in Canada. You can however create a US iTunes account with 'none' as the payment option, get US gift cards, and then purchase apps off your US iTunes account until Canada's release date. Or.... You can just wait till it's officially released in Canada (which I doubt you Want do ;-)

20. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Or just make an iTunes account without a credit card. There's documentation on the Apple site for it.

I think all you have to do is change your store to US in iTunes, then select the App Store from the menu bar in the iTunes store and click create account, it gives you the option of 'None' for payment option. You MUST be in the App Store to do it.

21. Artemis232 macrumors newbie

If you go onto the Canadian iTunes store right now you can download lots of ipad apps, you just need to search them. The only notable omission are the iBooks and iWork apps. I have 2 questions though: does the app store on the ipad itself work in canada, and is there any other features that do not work on canadian ipads? And when I am creating a US itunes store account can i only use US gift cards?

22. foreignconcepts macrumors member

Hmmm.... good to know, good to know. next question - is there any way to change your billing information and credit card information to US info and "change" your existing account from Canadian to US? People who move to the US from Canada must have had this issue before...

23. Hawke macrumors regular

I'm not from the US and used the US gift-card system and created a US iTunes account (did it mainly for purchasing my favorite TV series), without having to use my credit card.. Was pretty easy. Considering that iBooks are only available to the US (for the time being) I can seriously take advantage of my US account

24. lancer6238 macrumors newbie

So after creating a US iTunes account, I would still need gift cards to purchase stuff? Where can I purchase these gift cards?

Does that mean I can also buy everything available in the US iTunes store? Currently, we only have an App store, so I can't buy music and TV shows from my local iTunes store.

And can I still sync the apps to the iPad from the US iTunes account?