You need to be able to delete from your purchase history

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Matt Leaf, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Matt Leaf macrumors regular

While Im loving Apple Music for me the For You aspect is marred by the fact it looks at your previous iTunes history to determine its results.

But I've bought albums on iTunes for weddings, dj sets for clients, funerals, birthdays etc etc.

These albums in no way reflect my musical tastes, and in order for For You to work properly we need to be able to manage this on some level.

2. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

don't take this the wrong way, but Apple is only giving this option for single whole user, aka the general public not using for work etc. So for someone like you yes its great but you don't won't your work music style to affect your personal style, but AM wasn't really created for that intention, just personal use only.

3. Matt Leaf thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i get what you are saying. I dont want two accounts or anything. I just want to delete those dumb albums from my purchase history - i dont even want them. Theyre ruining the AM experience. Heck, just let me, as an Apple Music user, start fresh, rather than recommending what i want based on purchases, because to be honest, even purchases i made like 10 years ago dont really reflect what ive been listening to in the last 2 or 3

4. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Are you purchasing the items from iTunes or streaming/downloading them AM?

5. Matt Leaf thread starter macrumors regular

Im talking about buying something like Fleetwood Mac 5 years ago on iTunes for my Mom, so now get all this retarded 70's folk rock in 'For You' - when i actually am more into electronic music. It gets it half right - i see heaps of great suggestions deep house, minimal all that kind of thing - and then i get like, Donovan, Elton John, Joni Mitchell, stuff thats related to a previous purchase i didnt buy for myself

6. Matt Leaf thread starter macrumors regular

Just let me delete the goddamn fleetwood mac and donovan

7. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'm not sure if you were to hide the track if that would trick AM into thinking you don't have it anymore, I assume you don't have the tracks on your computer anymore?

8. Matt Leaf thread starter macrumors regular

No. No way

I can tick 'i dont like this suggestion' as much as i want, i dont think that overrides the fact its basing suggestions off of purchases. It'll still suggest something

It means im stuck with 70's folk rock in For You, forever

:(

9. Matt Leaf thread starter macrumors regular

Anyway, i emailed support and everything

10. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

The only thing I can think of next is creating a new account, shifting your library of tracks you want to your new account and starting fresh.

Unless anyone else can think of something I've over looked?

11. Paco II macrumors 65816

Keep hearting stuff you like and it will eventually push that stuff down.

12. flur macrumors 68000

That's a poor excuse. Amazon lets me remove purchases from their recommendation engine. Apple can and should do the same.

13. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I assume you mean when your on recommendations page you can click 'I own that' or what ever the other option is? It's a bit different I would imagine to do for AM as its based solely on music you have purchased, I would guess Spotify doesn't do this?

Once again the company is going by the average not the few

14. flur macrumors 68000

No, I mean that I can actually go into my purchases and select to exclude from recommendations. That's exactly what the OP wants. If Amazon can do it, I don't see why Apple can't.

15. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

many reasons but as its very early stages it might be something they add in the next update or iOS 9, just depends if its the need of the many.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op I have the same issue but I've found I can get rid of the music.

Tap the three dots next to the track and click that you don't like the suggestion. If you can like your favorites too.

Just disliking the suggestion won't trigger it properly without a few likes in the mix.

Surprisingly enough it learns quickly and after a week of playing I don't get littered with my kids crap any more.

17. Matt Leaf thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give it a shot guys, but my suspicion is that purchases sit at the bottom of the tree and all im doing is chopping off branches

18. Matt Leaf thread starter macrumors regular

But yes another great instance of it : buying stuff for your kids