"You need to restart your computer"-error message

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by canonguy, Jun 23, 2009.

1. canonguy macrumors member

So I did read though the previous forum relating to this problem. None of the posters were having the exact issue I am, and I could not find a solution within.

my hardware: powerbook G4. 1.33GHz Power PC. (upgraded to) 2GB DDR SDRAM. (just upgraded to) 320GB WD HDD

my OS: Just installed 10.4.11

Here's the scenario (I hope someone can help):
    Several months ago my poor baby took a dive off a counter onto the tile floor, while running. Never before this did I see the "Kernal Panic" restart screen. Immediately following the fall, I get the error if the computer is bumped, moved or if I put weight on the keyboard (palms). I feared it was a HDD issue so I hastily replaced the toshiba 60GB HD with a WD320 HD. And at the same time I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.11. The computer seemed fine for a couple weeks, now I am getting the error again with increasing frequency. Mostly when I put pressure on the keyboard (palms).

What I tried: new HD, new OS, checked the RAM to see if it had come loose in the fall.

Could it be my video card? Is it more likely hardware or software?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Seeing as this all started happening after you dropped it, I'll side my bets with hardware.

Could be anything though since it's been dropped. Maybe you can run some sort of hardware diagnostics...but I don't even remember how you run them on a G4 PB :eek:

3. canonguy thread starter macrumors member

That's a thinly veiled slam on my computer, ouch. I love this thing...got it in 04 and never had a single issue, until it tried to commit suicide by diving off the counter. built and managed 3 websites and 4 photo business from here. tens of thousands of images... I don't so much care for the software upgrades (10.3.9-10.4.11 and CS-CS2) seems glitchier and I could do w/o dashboard.

but I digress, thanks for the info...i'll look into it

4. canonguy thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm S.O.L. Found how to run hardware diagnostic... said to use disk... tried what I thought was the right disc (only one I had, said "AppleCare Protection Plan" & "Techtool Deluxe") restarted following instructions on Apple's website... nuttin. gets to gray "apple" screen, then the icon jumps about 1cm down and to the right... appears to expose some dark gray on it's upper left corner, that's it... then I have to hold down power etc.

Guess I'll just keep replacing what hardware I can.

Still welcome any suggestions

5. canonguy thread starter macrumors member

Genius bar fixed me...FYI... console>logs>/Library/Logs>panic.log... this told me the kernal panic was my airport card