Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Ok, here's the problem:
I just installed a 500gb hard drive into my macbook pro. Then I tried installing the osx using my 10.5 leopard disc. After getting to the installation screen, I selected my time machine as my system restore source. However my system restore source is 10.6 snow leopard disc. After restoring everything, I restart the computer and then i get the following message in 5 different languages:
"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the power button again"

Even after multiple restarts I get the same message.

Help?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Why don't you use the Mac OS X 10.6 Installation DVD for installing Mac OS X (hold down "C" after startup sound while the installation DVD is in the DVD drive), and then use the TM backup? You can also first completely install Mac OS, and when you have created your account, you can use the Migration Assistant to copy data from your TM backup.

A 10.6 TM backup won't work with a 10.5 installation, as they are both different in their cores.

PS: The message you get is the notification of a Kernel panic, which is most of the time software related, but can also be sometimes mean mis-functional hardware.

106227_3.jpg

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Hmm is that the problem? I left my snow leopard disc back in my dorms.
I've read some other topics and they've said that it's more of a hardware problem?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Hmm is that the problem? I left my snow leopard disc back in my dorms.
I've read some other topics and they've said that it's more of a hardware problem?

As I added in my last post, a Kernel panic is sometimes hardware related, but in your case it is most likely the mixed installation procedure with 10.5 DVD and 10.6 TM backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.