"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds."

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by naturallight, Nov 6, 2011.

1. naturallight macrumors member

I have a 4 year old MacBook Pro. When I turn it on, I get these crazy vertical bars and an error message that says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds."

Here is a pic: http://postimage.org/image/km2h59plz/

Every time I restart the computer, it gives me the same error. I tried holding down Command, Option, P, and R, but no luck. Is there anything I can do?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Follow these steps until you have determined whether it's software or hardware.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

What you're getting is called a Kernel Panic (the Mac version of Windows' Blue Screen of Death). It generally signifies some form of hardware issue or failure.

4. naturallight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everybody. I took it into the Apple store this morning. They said it was a hardware issue--my graphics card failed. I guess this was a wide scale issue with nVidia so Apple was fixing it free of charge for certain model years, but of course mine is too old by 6 months. So it would be $310 to fix. dang