"You need to restart your computer ..." keep appearing after chnaging new ram and ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by angusyip, Aug 30, 2010.

1. angusyip macrumors newbie

I just bought a Macbok Pro 15" Uni-body (2010 Mid). And I upgrade the ram to 8GB with the 3rd party rams. Also, I changed the HD to SSD by myself. After changing them, I inputted the OSX installation DVD and want to install the OSX into my new SSD. However, when it came to page for choosing language, kernel panic's alert message appears. I have restarted for several times but the situation remain the same and stop at the "language selection" page.

Can anyone help me to fix ?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Put the original RAM back into it to see if the new ram may be an issue.

3. celticpride678

Kernel panics are usually caused because of bad RAM/hard drive's and especially since you upgraded yourself, it could be placed in incorrectly.

4. angusyip thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it mean my new rams are not accepted by the machine ? I used Samsung as i guess it should be supported by Apple.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You probably just haven't seated them correctly.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

we need more information about the RAM, can you give us a model/serial number?

7. slawo macrumors newbie

First you could try to remove the connector from the SSD, clean the connectors to remove anything that could be there, do the same with the RAM modules and slots, put it back together and retry.

Then if it doesn't work, try removing the SSD and then try the install... If that works then the SSD might be the cause of the problem.

Otherwise don't put it back yet... you have to toy with the ram and while doing that it's better to use the stock drive.

Try inverting the RAM modules (put in the second slot the one you inserted in the first slot and vice versa)
    If the mechanical action of removing and putting them back properly didn't help you might have less crashes.

If the memory keeps getting corrupted, then remove one of the modules and try using the computer.
    Then remove the first module and put the other one in the same slot.
    If only one of the modules keep crashing your comp you know what the problem is, send it back for an exchange... it happens.

If you get no crashes with any of the modules when only one slot is used then maybe the other slot is damaged. Try each module in the other slot.
    If you keep getting crashes only on one slot with both modules you can try using the other slot.

If you have crashes only on one slot try using your original memory in the faulty slot. if it crashes, put everything back and send the computer back to Apple Care.

Now... If everything works fine with any module on any slot, but 2 modules together don't, send the RAM back immediately and get another model, it happened to me on some of my Thinkpads, I didn't send back the memory in time to get a refund.

In short
    If both of your modules make your computer crash while using your original ones don't, then send them back. If only one makes it crash send it for an exchange, if separately they work but together they don't send them back and get different ones.

But if one of your slots is damaged send your computer back.

Good Luck!

8. angusyip thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just put the original ram back and tried again. It works ! So does it mean the problem is the samsung ram ?

The detail of the DDR3 1066 ram is as below,

4GB 2Rx8 PC3-8500S-07-10-F2

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Try it now with one stick of RAM at a time, to find out which of the new RAM modules is busted.

RAM is RAM. There's no "Mac" or "PC" ram. If it's the right type and right capacity, it should work. Otherwise, as in your case, a dead module should be returned to the retailer.