"You need to restart your computer"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Derekhk, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Derekhk macrumors member

I was playing around with GeekTool and was prompted with the 'you need to restart your computer' message... I restarted and all is fine now but I was wondering whether I should be worried? Is this an indication of something more serious? How can I check the log?

This happened on my Mid-2010 MBP.

Thanks in advance.

2. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Hard to say when we don't know what you did to receive that message.

If you feel that threatened by the message restore the OS, but thats just silly..:p

update: looks like the guy above me is right on the money with the perfect help.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

I just checked my logs but can't seem to find anything in DiagnosticsReport that matches the time/date of the kernel panic?

Ah I just found it.

What does it mean?

5. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Sounds like a hardware issue which is most likely related to the graphics card or logic board. I would take it to an Apple store if you currently have repair coverage.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you get that from the log the OP posted or from the fact, that the Kernel Panic occurred once?

7. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that serious?

I've only had my laptop for about 6 months.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You have an i5, or an i7, right? I am getting that from the IntelHDgraphics thing in the log. It does seem to be an issue with your integrated graphics. Maybe your dedicated graphics wont give you any issues... But since you are under warranty, go to the apple store and show them this thread on macrumors forums (the one that this post resides in).

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A Kernel Panic might not be serious, especially if it only happened once. I had twelve or so Kernel Panics with my Macs since 2004 and only the one with the most had a failed logic board.

And you used GeekTool, which most probably caused the kernel to panic, as it is not always hardware related when the kernel panics.

Thus I asked the poster you and I quoted, ho s/he came to this conclusion, if was it from your log or just from the occurrence of one, louse kernel panic.

10. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have an i7. Is this something I should worry about only if it happens multiple times? It's only happened once so far.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

In geektool, are your refresh rates set all at the same time?

12. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

I don't quite remember, I uninstalled it right after the kernel panic. Do they need to be identical?

13. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Before we go crazy about horrible logic board issues (GOD FORBID).

Did you recently uninstall a program?

I got the same message one time (uninstalling glow worm) and it really screwed me over... Luckily Mr Genious was able to go in and help!

14. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

I might've uninstalled a program. What can I do now to prevent the kernel panic from happening again?

15. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Just uninstall it properly... Get an app that uninstalls programs for you.

I had the same thing go wrong... Just be careful in the future.

How did you uninstall it (if you can remember).

[[Then again neither of us know what really happened... this is just a plausible possibility.]]

Just be happy it's working for you right now :)

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most uninstall apps don't do a good job: Best way to FULLY DELETE a program?

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's not always a hardware issue. When I used Migration Assistant to move from my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro to my i7 MacBook Pro I got the message. I had to reinstall the OS three times and I never did figure out what was causing the conflict. Probably a kext.