You need to restart your computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallnshort247, Nov 28, 2010.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

So ever since about 3-4 months ago, I'll get an error message on my Mac stating that I need to restart my computer. I lose all control and my only option really is to hold the power button down and restart it. I then Googled the issue and found this out..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2238.html

No now my question is, do I do a clean install of my OS? Can Can I reinstall and then use time machine to restore my computer? I'm guessing that would give me the same problem as before. Any advice would be great!

By the way.. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro i5 so its still really new. This problem happens maybe once every 2 months depending on how hard I'm using it.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

You experienced a Kernel Panic from the description, usually caused either by hardware or software which basically freezes the machine causing a hard restart to be needed.

Can you remember what software in particular you were using at the time or if you had any hardware plugged into the machine at the time of the panic?

3. tekksan macrumors regular

I have just recently experienced the same thing and it seems every time it happens I'm using Chrome. I'm going to revert back to Firefox and see if it happens again.

4. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I think you both are right. At the time I was using Safari. I'd say there was some intensive flash being used at the time. Multiple browsers play videos, etc. I've upgraded to 8GB of ram and the problem still happens. Once Lion comes out, I'll probably do a clean install though.

5. onlymybiribiri macrumors newbie

onlymybiribiri

I used to have kernel panics all the time, then I started trying to avoid flash whenever I could and they went away.

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I would monitor your temperatures while playing flash.