you need to restart your computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pradeepg99, Jul 23, 2013.

1. pradeepg99 macrumors newbie

i have mac book pro (2006) model-2.4/2gb/160gb hdd/256 nvidia 8600gt gp
    with mac os x 10.4.11 installed. i create 32gb partition with the help of bootcamp 1.4 beta and install win xp spe 3 with all drivers its working fine
    both the os working fine. only the brightness problem is there for that i install third party soft. mac brightness control software but it was not working cause of demo ver. so i try to uninstall it give me some dll error and screen suddenly changed with junky and hangs. i reset the mac. after that problems started
    " you need to restart your computer hold down pwr button........"
    i have clone bakup hdd but mac not booting up with my ext. hdd also, not even any other third party bootable cd like hiren boot cd. i am stuck now pl. help me

thank u

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

That is called a kernel panic.

Your computer has the infamous 8600GT, which is known to be a ticking time bomb(they will all fail eventually, due to a manufacturing defect). The "junk" you saw on screen is a tell-tale sign.

If it's not booting correctly, it's sad to say that this is almost 100% sure to be a logic board issue. The whole logic board will likely need to be replaced, which is more expensive than what your computer is worth nowadays. Apple had extended the warranty to 4 years on the logic board on those computers due to a class action suit against nVidia, unfortunately your computer is out of the 4 years and the program ended on dec 7th 2012, so you're out of luck.

If money permits, you should simply buy a new computer, yours is most likely dead.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Of course there are ways of fixing the nVidia GPU problems, but they are risky and generally temporary. It involves pretty much the baking of your computer in an oven or with a blanket.

4. pradeepg99 thread starter macrumors newbie

ma book problem

hi
    sir

how it is possible u telling me that its a logic board problem
    two days before its working fine and even now also its giving me booting option
    for mac/win/usb . in windows its booted but blank screen, windows startup
    sound and shutdown sound i heard.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mostly because stuff breaks, and while it worked the other day, its not now.

If you're unable to boot up the computer in either OS, or your system install disc then its hardware. If you can take it into an apple authorized store to have them fully diagnose the issue

6. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder