You Need To Restart Your Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phlpjns, Mar 11, 2008.

1. phlpjns macrumors newbie

I need some help. My iMac will not start and keeps coming up with the message (in different languages) ''You Need To Restart Your Computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

I bought the computer in October (a week or so before Leopard was released)and it came with Tiger: Mac OS Version 10.4.10

This the spec: 20inch 2.4GHz Intel, Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory, 320GB hard drive 1, 8x double-layer SuperDrive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory.

I haven't had a problem until I was sent a free disc to upgrade to Leopard. After installing the disc it restarted automatically, I surfed the net for a bit, left the computer on for a while and when I came back it had switched itself off. When I turned the computer on the message above came on. I tried restarting lots of times but the message kept coming up. I haven't got much clue about computers and the only thing I could think of doing was reinstalling the OS X Installation disc but now I've done that I have lost all my files, photos and music, etc.

Do you think the problem was due to the Leopard disc? I would like to install Leopard but I am afraid to put the disc in again in case the same thing happens.

Any ideas what caused this problem and what I can do to prevent it occuring again? Or what I should do if it does happen again? Thanks

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

a friend of mine had a similar problem after upgrading from Tiger to Leopard. He ended up, cloning his hard drive to an external, doing a clean install of Leopard and migrating his data from the external.

No kernel panics (that's what the message, telling you to restart, is called) any longer.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Those messages are called Kernel Panics. Most of the time they are hardware related. Try starting up off of the Leopard DVD and try repairing the HD and repairing the Permissions and see if that fixes it. If is still occurs, take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair Center and have them take a look at. You are still under warranty, so let them do all the heavy lifting and diagnose your computer.

TEG

4. mushin.webster macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the same problem. I was upgrading my first generation macbook from Tiger to Leopard.

But now I cant eject the DVD and I can't go ahead with the booting. I don't have any idea about what to do. Someone could help me?

5. NicP macrumors 6502

If you hold down the mouse button when the computer is restarted/turned on it will eject the dvd

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From What is a kernel panic?:

7. mushin.webster macrumors newbie

Ok guys, I've ejected the dvd.
    But now how I can boot the Mac?

It doesn't allow installation from the DVD but it doesn't go further. I'm blocked!

8. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

How is it stopping you from installing from the DVD? Is it refusing to install to the HDD? Does it freeze? How exactly?

Also, what does Disk Utility say?

9. mushin.webster macrumors newbie

I'm stopped suddenly after the starting process.

1.Mac is power on
    2.Mac load the light screen with the apple logo
    3.Mac display the error (with the request of restart the system)

Mac doesn't read any DVD (I tried with the downloaded_ leopard and also with the original one) and doesn't let me do anything (even for eject the DVD I need to use the hold down trackpad way).

10. johto macrumors 6502

johto

You did press 'c' button during the startup(hold it after you see the apple logo). It should startup from a bootable CD/DVD disk, example Leopard Install Disk.

11. sawmaster macrumors regular

Do you mean the kernel panic?

12. mushin.webster macrumors newbie

@johto: thank you. I tried to reinstall Leo, but it runs everything ok, It install everything and then I get again the kernel panic message.

@sawmaster: yes.

13. sawmaster macrumors regular

oh! i get the kernel panic message sometimes here too. i dunno why, it just randomly happens while i'm doing something boring like changing my screen savers in my windows xp virtual machine.

it also makes the music skip for a second LOL