You need to restart your computer....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, May 5, 2010.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I've gotten this message around 5 times since I've installed my new ram about a month ago:

[​IMG]

What is the cause?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's a so-called KERNEL PANIC and the cause might be bad RAM or some software issue, if the software triggers something in the system which causes it to panic. Do you by any chance use the same software when the KP occurs?

3. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Just since you installed the new RAM?

My first MBP 15" i5 I ordered I was getting that message a lot, Tried re installing OS and wiping Hard Drive and also Ran Apple Hardware test and that came back with no errors. Apple replaced it thought as they said if it was a hardware error it would have came up on the Hardware test and if it was a software error it would have been fixed after wiping Hard Drive and re installing OS.

You could try and run the Apple Hardware test and see if that says anything about your RAM.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

It seems like its usually when I'm just surfing in Safari.

Ya, its only happened since I've installed the ram a month ago. The whole year before that with the old ram I never got that message. That's a good idea though, I'll run the test.

5. FnuGk macrumors regular

my guess would be uhm ehm.. your RAM! :p

just open the machine, take out the ram and reinsert them.

if that doesnt solve the problem its the new ram that is faulty get them replaced

6. Z06jerry macrumors regular

same thing happened to me after installing new RAM. Try replacing your new Ram with a better quality brand.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I second this. Most times, its simply a program that has miffed up things.

9. TedJustAdmitit macrumors regular

TedJustAdmitit

VMWare was using 2 cpu cores on my MBP and so when I used an Apple program at the same time, the Restart error would appear. Obviously I didn't realize that VMWare had that setting at the time, but once I changed it to use just 1 core, it corrected my problem. So it's not always memory, it could be a program causing the problem, but I would start at the memory of course.

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Have we tried a PRAM reset as we always should when changing hardware components? <8)

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

No, how does one do that?

12. Z06jerry macrumors regular

I run VMWare in the "2 core" setting on my MBP without any problems, its more likely the OP has issues with the new RAM he just installed (just my 2¢)

13. sspbravo macrumors newbie

damn...

been having the same problem, kernel panic with the "you must restart..." black box on my new macbook pro i5. tried to find out what the problem might be, possibly a program, but can't really understand the panic logs. already 3 times since it happened! ran the hardware test, no problems. haven't fresh installed yet, but planning to do it. kinda disappointed as i've waited awhile for this new refresh to happen and get it. otherwise i'm lovin everything else about this mbp.