You place in line "shouldn't" change...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobsentell, Jun 16, 2010.

1. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Everyone forgets that AT&T has a built-in way of determining your place in line: your order number. They are issued sequentially and as long as your order number never changed, your place in line shouldn't have either. Regardless of when your order was finalized.

Mine starts with 5051 and my order is NOT backordered.

2. stick159 macrumors member

Same here. Mine starts with 5051 and I preordered at 6 A.M. EST. Maybe we should have used the last 5 digits instead of the 1st 4. If they are in sequential order and they sold say 300,000 (600,000 was from all sellers) then the 1st four digits wouldn't change because the order number is 11 digits long.

3. bobsentell thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Because I've seen one thread with an order starting 6891. Some order numbers are placeholders or duplicates that will be weeded out. Just know that when AT&T starts printing shipping lables, it will by order number.

4. stick159 macrumors member

Well I hope your right then. Unfortunately I still have not received an email from AT&T although I can see it under order status and I do have a pre authorization on my credit card.

Hopefully I get it on the 24th because I wont be around for a few days after that and it would either get left at the door or sent back from nobody being home. Its almost been 35 hours since I placed the order so I'm really hoping I get that email sometime soon :confused:

5. raven77 macrumors member

My order number is 10122828947863741.
    That's a lot more then 11 digits, whats up with that?
    I ordered like 4:05AM eastern time

6. fuzion macrumors 6502

That looks like a premier number, not one placed in the compass system

7. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

You ordered via premier?

8. raven77 macrumors member

You are correct.

9. awestruck macrumors regular

Mine starts with 5051 and I ordered at 6PM yesterday.

10. fuzion macrumors 6502

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Your place in line is determined by when you get there.

12. stick159 macrumors member

We're talking about having it shipped. Not if we went to the store would they take us first. The OP was saying they ship out based on order numbers.

13. tatyiona macrumors regular

tatyiona

Mines starts with 4516 I ordered at 4:55 eastern

14. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I ordered in-store at 7pm, just before they closed and my order isn't backordered. I was even told my order likely wouldn't be delivered till after release day. The order number is only 5 digits long and starts with 12. The manager also told me it would be shipped TO my house.

15. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Mine starts with the same 7 numbers. It's because you ordered through Premier. I doubt they ship by order # since there are different numbers. My guess is they have some other kind of key that signifies when the orders occured no matter how you ordered it.

16. bobsentell thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Premier orders may come from a different location and different allotment. But I must clarify that this is only a WAG on my part. Every company I've worked for that has a large number of product going out has done everything by order number. Even McDs. That is the quickest way to ensure your orders are processed completely.

Let's say you ordered the iPhone from AT&T with a case, but the case is out of stock. You may call them and tell them to remove the case from the order. Your order number doesn't change but technically, your order wasn't final until then. You will not lose your place in line.

If you ordered at 5AM and have a lower order number than the guy who logged in at 11AM, you will get your phone first. Regardless of what order AT&T put those into the system.

Again, the order number is the easiest way of determining who ordered first.

17. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Comparing AT&T order numbers can get confusing...

For those of us whom ordered in the AT&T store, We have letters and #'s

My order # is

XS1572FARLU##

Has the same first 5 characters as my 3gs order #