You REALLY have to give it to Apple's optimization team....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

After reading all the reports on the (little) changes in 1.1.4, I decided to upgrade from 1.1.3 and specifically try out the Safari "white-wash" fix. In the past, the iPhone clearing out its cache in Safari was very pronounced, as you could only open up 2 (sometimes 3) full fledged internet pages and maybe 4 or 5 iPhone optimized pages before opening another would cause the pages in the background to "white out". This is assuming you are not playing music. If you were playing music while doing this, you'd get even less pages to be able to stay loaded with content simulatenously. This has changed so dramatically in 1.1.4. They may not stay loaded with content for a long time (1 or 2 hours, haven't tried it yet), but after just upgrading my phone, I loaded up 7 different iPhone optimized pages, and 1 full fledged website. Impressed with its ability to now keep all of them populated, I went to the iPod and started playing a Coldplay song, convinced that this would cause a cache cleanse. But it didn't. I can still browse all 8 windows. Amazing. Gotta give it to Apple, instead of just giving you a phone that can do all you PAID for it to do, they constantly optimize the sh*t outta everything going on in the background, giving you more bang for your buck.

God I love this phone.

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'd say you really have to give it to them for being able to convince the higher powers that safari optimization merited an entire update...

3. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I find new reasons to love my iPhone every day. It's darn right unnatural, really. :D

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

its true. I think its not just safari 'tabs' either. The Camera is much better, and i find that general page loads in safari is quicker. iPod seems more responsive, as does youTube loading. well done apple!

5. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Safari's tabs do *not* keep the content for too long. I literally had 2 tabs open and nothing else running (no music, or whatever). I clicked on a link on the web page of "tab 2" which opened a photo into a new tab. When I closed the photo in "new tab 3" the content of tab 1 and 2 was already lost.

In addition, I was just reading a web fully rendered web page - not zooming or scrolling or playing music - and Safari crashed.

I don't see Safari in 1.1.4 as having been much improved over 1.1.3.

Just my experience...

--DotComCTO

6. kane4fire macrumors member

ya, I remember how unbelievably horrible the original safari was until 1.1.3. I mean it took a bunch of tries and several months of annoyance but at least it got done....sort of...ok well not really still

Now hopefully they figure out the difficult programming methods to make MMS and other very difficult things like that work.

7. rayward macrumors 68000

Coldplay is minimalist, so less taxing on the CPU than, say, Green Day.

8. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

lol.