You recommendation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Craigy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

So I need to upgrade my old 15" 2006 MBP.

Was considering a 17" i7 but a few things bother me...

1) No USB3
    There's some new cool video I/O hardware for capturing / displaying HDMI - I know Light Peak is going to be better but how far away is it likely to be. In the mean time, has anyone got USB 3 working via an Express PCI card?

2) Display
    I know that a laptop LED display is not going to be brilliant - but how 'accurate' are people finding it after calibration for video / photoshop stuff. - Matte of course ;-)

3) SD
    Just a personal moan here - but surly apple could of put an SD card slot in, as they did in the 13 and 15? - There's plenty of room and it must cost them cents to do so?

2. applepearpp macrumors regular

1) USB 3 is still not the standard. Apple is waiting patiently to pick either light peak or USB 3. if you need USB 3, make a hackintosh

2) I can't say for sure since i don't do anything demanding on color accuracy. however, I should remind you that a "good" external monitor isn't that expensive really.

3) you have an express card slot on the 17" MBP. get a USB SD card reader or an express card reader.

personally, I'd rather build a hackintosh mac pro and then buy an ipad/MBA. even i7 MBP is too weak for any real work. well i shouldn't say that, but the point is, it's better to have a dedicated work machine and a mobile machine separately.

I have a $1400 i7 950 hackintosh desktop and a MBA. absolutely love it. got USB 3, tri channel ram, eIPS monitor, etc.