Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulsyphon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Of course I don't have an iCloud drive app on my iPhone iOS8 however I installed the new iCloud control panel (version 4.0) via windows 8 and it has enabled me to upload anything I want via iCloud.com

Just look at the screenshot. The "photos" folder is a made up folder I made on iCloud.com and uploaded some photos to it... however I have no idea how to see them on my phone.

Which according to me means, there will be an update when yosemite ships and the app will be given to us. Why else would icloud.com work as advertised but not on iPhone?

(sorry I removed the screenshot since my name was listed)

Last edited:

cmcclure88

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2014
There's no app for OS X. In Yosemite you can access iCloud Drive directly from Finder.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
There is no iCloud drive app. Apps that have the iCloud drive API enabled have the option to share files with each other that are in iCloud. So it's built in each app, there's no standalone app for it.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
who told you this?

Apple did.

https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/icloud-drive/

To upload your files to iCloud, simply drag them into the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac running OS X Yosemite or PC running Windows 7 or later. Or start a new document using an iCloud-enabled app on your iOS device. Then you’ll be able to access those documents from all your devices.

You create documents in the iCloud enabled apps, and you can open documents located within iCloud in any iCloud enabled app that has iCloud drive built in.

If you want to view the photos on your phone, you can open them in Pages, which just had an update to support iCloud drive. Or you can wait until apple builds a Preview app for iPhone, which there have been rumors about.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
I was just reading some posts from developers, I figured they know what they are talking about. And if you look closely at the wording on the iCloud drive page (http://www.apple.com/au/icloud/icloud-drive/) it implies there will not be any iCloud drive app on iOS. Plus no mention of a new app from apple.
I argue there will be no iCloud app.

soulsyphon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2014
thats just ridiculous if true... whats the point of offering all this storage at new prices then?

its the same thing as ios7, nothing changes

how come OSX has access to icloud drive, and icloud.com but not ios8?

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I was so confused and still am with this. Seems like i thought it was Apples' answer to dropbox, or google drive. Where you drag files on your desktop to the cloud. And an "icloud drive app or something" opens those files on your phone. Just like dropbox or something.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
There might be no official iCloud Drive app, but anyone could build one since each app has access to all of your iCloud Drive....

soulsyphon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2014
look guys.

icloud drive works like dropbox in windows 8, icloud.com and OSX yosemite. the only thing thats missing is iOS 8

here's some screenshots.

Attachments

• icloud drive 2.jpg
    icloud drive 2.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 270
  • icloud drive.jpg
    icloud drive.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 249

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
totally sucks balls. i dont wanna guess what app has been updated or guess which app might be able to open a certain file. its so backwards imo just give me an app with all the folders and files and let ME pick the app i want to open it with. and why does it work differently on windows and yosemite compared to ios8. very inconstistent. ill stick to dropbox. apples solution is way too confusing. i dont see how the majority of people is supposed to understand it.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
totally sucks balls. i dont wanna guess what app has been updated or guess which app might be able to open a certain file. its so backwards imo just give me an app with all the folders and files and let ME pick the app i want to open it with. and why does it work differently on windows and yosemite compared to ios8. very inconstistent. ill stick to dropbox. apples solution is way too confusing. i dont see how the majority of people is supposed to understand it.

I agree. It's backwards, especially considering the improvements in iOS 8 which makes sharing possible.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Not having an iCloud app (AKA Finder) is just retarded.

Knowing what I actually have in the Cloud was the first thing I looked for after upgrading.

I put Apple's decision here in the same league as Microsoft's Windows 8 start screen debacle, or worse.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
It is simply not possible to copy files from iCloud Drive to Dropbox (or the other way around) using only an iOS device. I can even do that on Windows! That is insane. :mad:

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
It is simply not possible to copy files from iCloud Drive to Dropbox (or the other way around) using only an iOS device. I can even do that on Windows! That is insane. :mad:

You can do this from within the dropbox app. Add files / cloud.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Readdles documents could manage that quite easily. Has access to both dropbox and iCloud (soon drive) I have never transferred a file directly but it can be downloaded then uploaded to the new location.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This confuses me. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding but what good would an iCloud Drive app do on iOS that can't support files without an app to use them?

Example, a zip file is useless on iOS. However if you wanted to email a zip file then that would be the job of the email app.

The only thing I see an iCloud Drive app doing is just letting you look at the files you have.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The pages/numbers/keynote implementation on iOS is pointless really. It doesn't do anything iCloud didn't.

I uploaded all my documents from Dropbox to a Documents folder on iCloud. On the Mac I can open pages, browse to the folder, and open a document. On iOS, however, unless a Pages document is in the "pages" folder, etc, they can't be opened since you can't browse.

I really don't see why I can't browse to a folder in iCloud drive from Pages on iOS. Surely that's a pretty bog standard usecase.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
You can do this from within the dropbox app. Add files / cloud.

Yeah, you're right. I still am not in luck for transferring files to iCloud Drive though.

----------

This confuses me. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding but what good would an iCloud Drive app do on iOS that can't support files without an app to use them?

Example, a zip file is useless on iOS. However if you wanted to email a zip file then that would be the job of the email app.

The only thing I see an iCloud Drive app doing is just letting you look at the files you have.
Click the .zip and mail it? Or upload it to Dropbox? Nothing wrong with central file storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.