Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The XR is touted as having a larger screen than the plus models at 6.1 versus 5.5 but in reality you are getting less pixels, right?

So is it true when you display content it’ll appear maybe larger but you’ll see less of it?

What I’m trying to assess is weather or not I am really getting an upgrade to my 7 plus in terms of screen size and how much content I’ll see by going to the XR... or is the XS Max the only real “upgrade” in this matter.

I wonder if anyone will do or has done a screen size analysis between these models. I’ve only been able to find comparisons of the new models to each other so far.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I’m curious about this as well. Unfortunately the tech media at these Apple events seem like a bunch of idiots and don’t cover the basic stuff people need to know about.

For example, I looked through a ton of “hands on” videos and couldn’t find a single one that actually compared the new iPhones side-by-side with the current ones already out. All they do is videotape themselves holding the new phone in their hand and regurgitating the same marketing points that Apple already covered during the keynote. Maybe Apple forces them to do this?

Apple does show this picture on their website...
4cx33Iu.jpg

... but is that just Apple tricking people by showing a photo on each phone that is a certain resolution which looks better on the XR?

Hernan4651

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2018
You will see more in the Xr because of the aspect Ratio( the apps are going to run in this aspect ratio), not the pixel count.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You see more on XR than the Plus.

The width of the content displayed will be the same as Plus. But the XR will display about 20% more vertically.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
You see more on XR than the Plus.

The width of the content displayed will be the same as Plus. But the XR will display about 20% more vertically.

Is that so? Cause even in Apple’s screenshot above if you look at the shadow on the left side under the biker you can see a bit of it is cut off on the XR compared to the right side.

I remember when the X first came out people did a very detailed analysis of the resolution and other stuff to show exactly what you’d see. Wish someone with a bit of time on their hands would do that now to be sure. :)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Is that so? Cause even in Apple’s screenshot above if you look at the shadow on the left side under the biker you can see a bit of it is cut off on the XR compared to the right side.

I remember when the X first came out people did a very detailed analysis of the resolution and other stuff to show exactly what you’d see. Wish someone with a bit of time on their hands would do that now to be sure. :)

This has been confirmed. It has the same point width as the Plus.
https://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/ultimate-guide-to-iphone-resolutions

Reactions: glhaynes and BigDO

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Nice! This is exactly what I was looking for! So according to this the XR will show the same content as the XS Max just be slightly smaller. Which is totally fine with me!

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.