You Sicken me

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lil Chillbil, May 19, 2012.

1. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I was wondering as a hardcore apple fan why the heck would anybody want to run windows on a mac. I personaly love the apple software i'm running 10.4.11 on my Powermac g4 with upgraded 1 gig of ram and an 80 gig hardrive. But seriously it kinda gives me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach at the thought of powering on a mac only to see the horror of pc software :eek:. Keep in mind this is not an attack on the hackintosh comunity I just want to know why. :confused:

2. iMacC2D, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I prefer using OSX, but there are a number of reasons I run Win7 through VMware, a few of which are:

Proprietary company software that only runs on Windows
    Strict compatibility for MS Office in sharing docs/spreadsheets/presentations
    Software I already own a license for in Windows

Others have similar reasons, even if they prefer OSX

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'm sure OP is like me--no work requirements for Windows and no Windows programs I need to run for personal use so no need to run Windows on my Mac--no need for two OS when one will suffice.

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I'm a big fan of the Apple hardware but I prefer to use Windows over OS X, even though I find OS X to be very good too. Apple give me the best of both worlds by allowing me to boot into one or the other :)

6. callmerui macrumors newbie

I am the opposite of you, I can not get used to Windows once I had my hands on MacOSX. I can multitask a lot more when I am using MacOSX. Nonetheless, the stability of MacOSX is better than any windows ( However W7 is ok but still the usability fails in my hands and eyes).

What I hate the most is that there many MacOSX users just buying an Apple hardware for ' Hey, I have a macbook, so I am cool!'. In addition, they do not know a thing about MacOSX features. Just give them Linux in an Apple computer and they are happy aswell.

7. animalresource macrumors newbie

To be honest, Windows 7 is not that bad.

Also, most games are not compatible with OS X, so Mac users who are into gaming have to install Windows.

8. GoodOne macrumors regular

I'm not religious about the OS. It's just that I work so much with Windows applications that it woulnd't make sense for me to use MacOS + the obvious Windows VM. I think that's not really elegant if all you need is to run Windows applications and don't much care about the MacOS part.

I'm sure that MacOS is nice but I don't have any issues with Windows at all so why deal with two operating systems at once? If it only were for private use I think I would go for a MBP and use MacOS all the way. But as I work in the IT business and I deal with Windows infrastructures and applications every day it just doesn't make sense.

But I'm still quite disappointed by PC hardware, that's why I'm looking into a MBP.

What are the tradeoffs of running Windows 7 on a MBP vs. a "native" install on, say a Lenovo Thinkpad? Does it really make sense to get a MBP only to run Windows?

Thinking about replacing my Lenovo T400s with either a T430s or a MBP 2012. I love my thinkpad, it's just that the displays are crap. And it seems like the new ones still have crappy TN-displays. It's so frustrating... the MBP 2012 on the other hand promises to have a great display but I'm not really into the whole MacOS thing for the reasons mentioned before. I guess the Thinkpad would be the most practical choice for me.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I have a T420 for work.
    The display is two steps higher than crap.
    However, at work and home the docking stations turn the machine into a dual monitor desktop without having to disconnect or reconnect a signle device.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I am sorry for sickening you :eek: :D

Back to the O.P since my school is pretty much based on windows and there are sometimes cases when the software the school supplies is windows only so I sometimes can't do it any other way.

11. GoodOne macrumors regular

Yeah, I run my T400s also with a docking station to my 23" Eizo (IPS) monitor. Another benefit with a Thinkpad compared to a MBP unless you go with with a Thunderbolt Display or one of those Thunderbolt docks appear.

Well crap may be a little too harsh but it's disappointing. I mean the t400s display is Ok in terms of resolution but the black level is reeeeally bad and colours aren't good either especially if you put it against an IPS-panel.

If only Lenovo put good IPS panels in there I would be perfectly satisfied.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

crap is appropriate :D

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Because computers are tools used to do a job, not a religion.

If your usage requires Windows then so be it.

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Pssst, Smithsonian called. They want their antique Apple stuff back.

:)

15. Sincci macrumors regular

Wait, this is a hacintosh community? Doesn't that one actually mean people who are running OS X on their non-apple pc's and not people who are running Windows on their mac's? Also, if that isn't an attack on this community, why start a thread where you tell us that we are sickening you?

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Many are likely in the same boat; however, I don't think I've ever allowed someone who runs windows on their mac to actually "sicken" me.

Such dramatics.

17. zone23 macrumors 68000

When I work on the Android platform sometimes I just "need" windows. Example: I need to copy a large number of PNG files from different folders into a number of different APKs and its just easier in Windows. I wish it wasn't but it just is.. I have Windows 7 x64 on my iMac (bootcamp) but not my MacBook Pro. Don't really need it on both.

18. marikavs macrumors member

Sorry to sicken you

I originally put Windows XP in Boot Camp because I needed it for work. Now that I'm not working I still help others who use it, so I'd better keep myself limber, so to speak. Besides, I'm still interested--so I have 7 in one VM and 8 in another. However, after what I've read about Lion and Mountain Lion, I'm sticking with Snow Leopard. It used to be I couldn't upgrade, but no more.

19. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Out of curiosity, as I plan to stick with Snow Leopard for a while, why are you sticking to Snow Leopard?

20. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Some software is made for Windows only. So those who need to use that software will have to run Windows on their Mac or use two computers. I prefer the first one.

21. marikavs macrumors member

iOSification

I appreciate your asking, but this is hardly the forum for a lengthy discussion. Let me just call my reason(s) iOSification, making the OS X tool* more difficult to use.
    [* That's in reference to throAU's post, which I agree with.]