"You Suck at Photoshop" - Screencast software.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackmack, Jan 26, 2008.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

Ok, so I'm not sure if you've seen them, but there is a comedy series called, "You suck at photoshop".

You can watch them here:
    http://www.mydamnchannel.com/channel.aspx?episode=379

While the child in me was busy laughing at the disturbed humor, the nerd in me was really interested in just how awesome the screencast was.

It was great quality... whenever he typed something or used some key commands, they showed up in the corner, and when he wanted you to focus on a part of the screen, it would zoom into the mouse smoothly.

There are three pieces of the puzzle, and I've managed to figure out only 2:

1. Screen recording
    --He uses Snapz Pro

2. Showing what keys/commands are being pressed in the top corner
    --He uses a freeware program called KeyCastr

3. Zooming in on the mouse smoothly

So #3 is the only thing I don't know. I thought maybe he was using the built-in mac-zooming feature, but he does it too cleanly, smoothly, and identical for it to be him scrolling his mouse wheel or something. Plus, he seems to zoom in mid-command, or mid-mouse movement.

It just feels like he is using some sort of hot-key, but I can't figure it out.

Any help would be great =).

Thanks.

2. dgoucher macrumors newbie

Zooming in Quickly

Hi,

thanks SO much for pointing out KeyCastr - I've searched for ages and couldn't find what he was using (too busy laughing, I guess).

In return, here's my tip for zooming in quickly while recording.

I use the default screen zoom in OSX, with two mods:

1. You can set the first stage zoom amount for zoom in and zoom out using the Options button in the Control Panel (Universal Access). That means that the first time you press the Zoom Key-Combo, it can jump straight to a 4x zoom, rather than stepping in, and the same on the way out.
    2. (The Magic Ingredient) I programmed the Screen Zoom Key-Combo into the side-switch on my Wacom Tablet Pen. I can press this any time I like without having to drop the pen and press some keys.

Hope this helps.

D

3. GregE macrumors 6502

This is soooooooooooooooo funny. Thanks for sharing it.

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Can you expand on setting "the first stage zoom amount for zoom in and zoom out using the Options button in the Control Panel (Universal Access)"??

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

6. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

Post-Production

This guy's adding reverb to his voice overs, I'm gonna go ahead and guess his zooms are just done in Final Cut/After Effects/whatever. Basic effect.

Though if you use Command + a scroll wheel / mighty mouse ball, you can zoom in an out very smoothly.