You tell me, which one would you buy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neon01, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Neon01 macrumors member

I picked up a 15" MBP from the Microcenter deal yesterday, but I saw some rather reasonably priced 17" MBPs on Amazon warehouse deals, so it's been giving me second thoughts. Which would you pick:

1. 15" MBP Early '11 upgraded model - 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 2.3GHz i7 (I think it's the i7-2820QM), Radeon 6750M, and the Anti Glare 1680x1050 display. The price was $1780 after tax, but it's brand new and has never been opened and bought from an Apple authorized reseller.

2. 17" MBP Early '11 base model - same specs as the 15" except has the slower processor at 2.2GHz, and has the glossy 1920x1200 screen. Same RAM, same HDD, same graphics card, etc. This would be a used laptop so it probably wouldn't have much warranty left. Price is $1810.

So it's only about $20 difference. Seems like a no brainer for the specs, but a big part of me actually likes the smaller size of the 15", and I feel the lower res screen might actually be a boon in gaming for the decent-but-not-great 6750M card both would have. Then again, the bigger screen on the 17" is nice for everything else, and it seems the resale on the 17" might be better since it seems to be tied more closely to base price than "options" that the 15" would have.

Any thoughts? I can still return the 15" since I haven't opened it yet, but I'm itching to "fish or cut bait" here. Just want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I open the box...

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1300374

Here is a thread about Amazon Deals - Myself and 2 other people recently purchased from Amazon Warehouse and Apple will move your purchase date to when you ordered from Amazon Warehouse by calling AppleCare and they will have you sent a copy of the receipt. So you will have 1 full year coverage.

As far as price goes the Amazon Deals can change at any time and they change often. I check them for all models every day. I purchased the early high end 2011 15 MBP on Dec 30th for 1340 shipped - original 2199 from Apple. It is now selling on Amazon Warehouse for 1650.

In the post above everyone received "Like New" and had no issues with dents/scratches. I had a few minor scratches - but im super picky. The battery count for the 4 of us in that thread was 31,16,6,1

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC723LL-15-4-Inch-VERSION/dp/tech-data/B0017HSZWK/ref=de_a_smtd - this is the MBP that 2 of us purchased for 1340 shipped

FYI

3. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

17 is massive and not too portable. Doesn't fit in most standard backpacks if it's in a sleeve/case. Not sure if that's a concern for you. 17 starts higher, so it would have higher resale value.

4. Neon01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link to that thread - lots of good info there. Yeah, the 17" was the amazon warehouse model, and I've always heard essentially what was said in your thread - that they're in great shape.

$1340 is truly a stunning deal, but unfortunately for me the 1680x1050 res was a must have if I went with the 15" MBP. I think those models have the standard 1440x900, correct? Do you know if Amazon warehouse ever has the model available with the upgraded screen?

From a value perspective, I think the 17" is the way to go, but as apple said, it just doesn't seem as portable.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes it is 1440x900 - I believe Amazon only sells the base models no upgrades. I have only seen the base models.

6. chillfrilla macrumors member

then buy from apple

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I would get the 17". Keep in mind you might have to get a larger backpack to fit it. But I love my early 2011 17"

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The 17" is a brute to cart around. My arms are several inches longer now. The screen is nice, I have a newer faster model, but I wouldn't let the CPU put you off this, for me it's the RAM, 8 GB is really what you need, but having said that memory prices have finally started to come down Annan upgrade is not hard to do.

The 15" JUST edges it for me, but not by much.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I echo the other posters regarding the ungainly large size of the 17" MBP makes it unwieldy to lug around

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

15" is definitely the sweet spot. I wouldn't recommend getting the 17" unless you have a specific requirement for the larger screen.

11. felixgun macrumors member

I'd go with the 15" just for sheer size and weight. It's plenty unless you plan on doing some heavy computing...

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'd also go with the 15". It's much more portable, and I think if you go to resell it at some point it might actually be easier to sell. A lot of people just don't want to buy a 17" because it's a lot to carry around.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'd buy the 15 but I'm sure my needs/wants are entirely different form your own. Polling won't help you to determine what's best for you.

No brainer is commonly misused for "my preference" as it is here. Again, highly subjective and polling is not the way to determine your preference on the a matter. If it was truly a no brainer then Apple wouldn't need to offer the 15 to begin with.

14. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I guess it's set. You're sticking with the 15". I would also get the 15" as well.

15. bill-p macrumors 65816

I think I'm the only one who would go for 17" here?

Personally, I prefer the low res glossy 15", but if I have to go higher resolution, I'd go 17". The 17" is just a bit bigger, and a bit heavier, but it gives you a lot more room to fit stuffs in, and the resolution handily fits native 1080p contents, so no funky scaling has to be done.

And there's the fact that I prefer glossy better than antiglare. I don't like the thin film feel of the AG layer, and since I mostly work indoors and away from bright windows with the sun flashing directly in my face, the reflection doesn't bother me. In fact, the color reproduction on the AG display bothered me when I looked at my Dad's 17" Pro. I liked the resolution, size and weight of the computer, but the AG display put me off severely.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If there is only a $20 difference, then definitely I think you should go for the 17"...According to your sig, you already have a MacBook Air for portability, so definitely go for the 17"

17. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I would go for the 17 as well, but we've had this conversation defending the 17 on other threads as well.

18. Neon01 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't ask what's best for me. I asked what everyone else would do given the circumstances (price, features, warranty, resale, etc). And I did this to get info from people that have more experience buying and selling Macs than I do (which is to say, about none).

No, you've apparently misread - I didn't say this was my preference. What I said was that from a specifications-per-dollar perspective, the 17" is the clear winner. This is fact, not opinion. Whether others misuse the term "no brainer" is immaterial here. The 17" offers as much or more in every performance metric except size, weight, and processor capability, and it's almost identical from a price perspective.

If this post were asking "which one is better - the 17" or 15" MBP?", then I would agree with you, and I'm sure that's a discussion that's asked here all the time, so I can understand where you're coming from. However, I'm asking a very targeted question regarding two specific customized (or one customized and one standard) MBP builds, with price and condition as a factor.

In any event, despite the value proposition not being as strong with the 15", I believe that's the one I'll stick with. I find myself agreeing with some others here that the 17" is just a little too large for my needs. I'll likely be selling the MBA when I get this since I prefer to have one machine.

Thanks to all for the replies!