Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I set up for in store pick up of 2 cables on Oct 3rd. Had plenty in stock. Been back a few times and haven't seen any shortages.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I don't understand why accessoires are so hard to come by. It's not like they're hard to produce as with the iPhone 5. There's also no expensive complicated aluminum unibody part.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I suppose it's best to table this thread until after the new Apple products begin selling, whenever that is, following this coming Tuesday's 10/23 announcement.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
You think finding a lightning cable in store is bad now, just wait until the iPad Mini and possibly the new new iPad comes out! It's pretty bad that Best Buy hasn't received any stock yet. A 1-2 week wait through the Apple Store online is a little ridiculous too...

I went to 2 different Best Buys in the Phoenix, Arizona area and the pegs were all the way full. They couldn't fit any more out on the sales floor unless they added another peg to hold them. Sounds like it's just dependent on the Best Buy you go into.

MacBreezy

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I went in to get my original iPhone 5 replaced a couple weeks after launch and my Apple store had just put out 7 or 8 racks full of lightening cables. Guess I should have bought a few more and sold em on eBay.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
You're just further exacerbating the problem if you do that. It means more stores will be out of stock and more people will be forced to turn to eBay to pay a higher price while you profit. That's not fair.

That's the same as I was saying about the phones themselves, especially with how easy it seems to get them unlocked now.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Wow! Maybe it's just my area! I live in an area of about 30-50K people in Ohio. Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Corporate Verizon Store, etc have been completely sold out.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
You're just further exacerbating the problem if you do that. It means more stores will be out of stock and more people will be forced to turn to eBay to pay a higher price while you profit. That's not fair.

This is capitalism and nobody is forced to pay anything. If they don't want to pay, they can go without. Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head.

If someone scoops up all the cables and sells them for $100 apiece on ebay, then good for them. Like you said, it might not be fair, but life's not fair.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
This is capitalism and nobody is forced to pay anything. If they don't want to pay, they can go without. Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head.

If someone scoops up all the cables and sells them for $100 apiece on ebay, then good for them. Like you said, it might not be fair, but life's not fair.

And at some point it becomes price gouging, which is inordinately profiting from other's misfortune (i.e. not being able to buy an item from a legitimate retail source because some DB has bought & hoarded those items in order to create shortages.) People don't need cables to live but I bet you'd be whining the loudest to find yourself in that situation.

WRT your rationalization, a pig in a tutu is no ballerina and a bad deal still stinks.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
You think finding a lightning cable in store is bad now, just wait until the iPad Mini and possibly the new new iPad comes out! It's pretty bad that Best Buy hasn't received any stock yet. A 1-2 week wait through the Apple Store online is a little ridiculous too...

Why would anyone need more than one

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
You think finding a lightning cable in store is bad now, just wait until the iPad Mini and possibly the new new iPad comes out!

I think it wont be an issue as you get one with the device and some people will already have their iPhone5 cable...

When I got my iP5 I went from having cables everywhere to just one and I scrambled, but now my wife also has iP5 and I bought a cable easily at local store so I have 300% more cables...

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I have an extra for use on a different floor of my house so I don't have to move plug-ins.

I see well I just charge mine at Night and it seems to last all day pretty consistently

----------

These lightning cables are pretty cool… No doubt

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Just order from Apple. I ordered 5 of these new cables and they arrived in only a few days. I think at what Apple charges, they will keep up.

No reason to start a panic:mad:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Why would anyone need more than one

That's one of the reasons that I think the availability of the lightning cable is generally good.

Everyone gets a cable in the box, so having additional cables is just a convenience.

With the 30-pin to Lightning adaptors it's a different matter. You simply can't use the iPhone 5/iPod touch with certain accessories without one.

nickm81us

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Kansas City stores have them as do my campus store and the Iowa State campus store.

The Apple stores have the Lightning-to-USB cables, but practically nowhere else I looked had them in stock. I checked multiple Best Buys, Wal-marts, Targets, Micro Center, as well as Sprint and AT&T stores, all nothing. I ended up getting my spare cable from a Verizon store off of Shawnee Mission Pkwy. They sold it to me with no probs, despite me having cell service with AT&T. :D

Actually, the one Verizon store I called in Lawrence also had the Lightning cables in stock, so it may be that some Verizon stores around here (KC area) are getting them before other places?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
My Best Buy was outta them and I didn't want to wait 1-2 weeks, so I checked ATT online. Says it ships in 2-3 business days, so I ordered from there. No rush, so whatever.

My on-campus apple authorized reseller had about 30 last time I checked. Maybe I should start selling some on eBay
Hrmm, good idea! I should check there too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.