All iPads You think more RAM next generation is promised?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by justind.clark, Nov 28, 2013.

1. justind.clark macrumors member

I understand the reasoning behind some users' dissatisfaction with 1GB RAM in the new iPads, but I don't think you can take it as read that the next generation will have any more. It's possible that Apple could have had 1.5-2GB of RAM in this years devices but chose not to for practical rather that greedy/nefarious reasons. Mobile devices are all about trade-offs and I wouldn't be surprised if it's one instead of two simply because it uses more battery to power more RAM and 10+ hour battery life is a pillar feature of the iPad platform. And/Or several other potential pros and cons that I don't see or understand. But it's not my job to, it's Apple's.

My Air is great and the reviews I read seem to concur. Not saying 2GB iPads aren't coming, just wondering if the stars will align next year either.

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Oh I'd absolutely bet on the next iPad having 2GB RAM. Apple can't afford to fall that far behind. Also, when Apple does finally put 2GB, the competition will be using 3-4GB.

3. justind.clark thread starter macrumors member

I take your point, but I also don't think Apple is too worried about Google or Microsoft having a better number to tout. Hell, they even released a low dpi display on the mini despite competing slates having Retina-caliber screens AND being substantially cheaper.

4. cababah macrumors 68000

As applications grow larger and more resource-intensive with 64-bit architecture, Apple will be forced to upgrade the RAM to continue to provide that smooth user experience. iOS can only be so efficient you know...

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Some truth here but keeping the RAM lower also requires developers to be on top of their game and not waste resources. If it was just a RAM thing, how would someone explain how certain apps and games that are very graphic intensive run perfectly smooth on the Air?

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

The fact that iOS is so efficient helps. I tried a Galaxy tablet the other day, had 2GB RAM yet stuttered and lagged even when just swiping from one page to another and closing apps.

Yet, the 512MB iPad 2 runs very smoothly still. And from what I've seen of the Air, the same can be said. Personally, I'd rather have lower specs with a better experience.

7. 007p macrumors 6502a

With the first mini and ipad 2 still currently on sale and only having 512mb of RAM, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like this next year;

Mini 3 - 1gb RAM
    Air 2 - 1gb RAM
    Pro - 2gb RAM

That way you still keep developers having to keep RAM low to support all devices, but are able to introduce 'pro' only apps which will have more RAM available to them if they want to produce such an app.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its all conjecture, but I'd say the odds are good we'll see an improvement.

9. Ries macrumors 68000

That has nothing to do with ram or being efficient, being efficient with ram, usually means worse performance, you speed up things by using more RAM, .i.e lookup tables, caches and so on.

10. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

My point is it's not all about specs. Obviously more RAM will help - I was mainly referring to the person who said that by the time Apple have 2GB, the competition will have 3-4GB; why does it matter if the iPad is much better to use?

12. Count Blah, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It's all about user experience. Whether it's ios7 or 1Gig of RAM, the air is blowing up way more than an iPad2 with ios5/6 ever did.

You may seem to willingly accept inferiority, but others are not. Most are convinced more RAM would help with the errors, and for futures proofing their hardware. Another 1gig of RAM release would be like releasing the mini2 without retina. It would garner a lot of negative pub.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And THIS will be the source of all disappointment and criticism next year when they don't.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Of course I want the products to work as well as possible, but not always sticking another GB of RAM in is the solution - it may help, but I think the core of it here is down to iOS 7.

It doesn't seem at all well optimised for iPad, and I think once this is sorted out in either 7.1 or iOS 8 we may see things running much better.

I also don't think that it would garner much negative publicity, since Apple doesn't actually publish RAM specs and many users are not aware of where the bottleneck takes place. (E.g. 'Antennagate' was much more widely reported than, say, the colour gamut of the rMini display, as your average punter knows what a dropped call is, but doesn't know what sRGB means).

Don't think I'm not wanting 2GB RAM - sure, it'd be nice to have. But I don't think the perceived shortcomings of the iPad is solely down to the RAM.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

There is some truth there but providing more RAM also enables developers to create larger and more complex applications that would truly take advantage of the upgraded hardware.

Remember, when Apple does finally put 2GB RAM in iOS devices, the competition will likely be using close to double that amount so there will still be that pressure for efficient application design.

The A7 officially let's the iPads compete with desktop-class computers so why choke it in the RAM department?

To answer your other question, a game running smooth is a result of a fast CPU/GPU more than RAM. The iPad Air has reasonably fast DDR3 RAM which helps but not that much of it. It will limit the size of the game more than the performance. 2GB RAM would allow for much larger worlds and such.

16. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

Then 2GB won't be enough and "The Great Memory Ripoff Part 2" will be born in this very forum.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would say most people don't really care about specs, instead, they just want the product to work like it is advertised.

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I doubt it unless the other IOS devices are also upgraded to 2 Gig.

----------

Maybe fix IOS 7 on the iPad first.

19. cababah macrumors 68000

I honestly think the next wave of iOS devices will raise the bar in the RAM department maybe starting with the iPhone 6 and the iPads following shortly after.

20. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'm just guessing of course, but I think it's likely next year's Ipads will have more Ram. There are trade offs, as you say, but as time goes by the technology becomes better and the tradeoffs become less necessary. When the original Ipad mini came out, Anand said he didn't expect a retina version to come out within the next year. In his review of the retina mini, he said he'd been wrong because the technology changed faster than he'd anticipated.

21. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

How is apple falling behind? They are the first with a 64 bit chip. Apple will the first with 6GB of ram.

22. cababah macrumors 68000

lol ok we shall see about that.

23. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Wanna make a bet on that last part?

24. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

About being the first to 6GB of ram?

25. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

Lol at first with 6gb