You think some printers better suited to Mac than others?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Peter Franks, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

I have had an Epson printer for years and have no doubt been completely ripped off by them. Only saw the article years later that this particular model I have had problems.

In a nutshell, it used to tell me I was out of ink monthly, because it was obviously set to a timer, not usage, I could print 4 pages and not use it for a month or two and it'd tell me I'd be out of ink. Even if I only wanted a black ink document, wouldn't let me, and you had to replace all 4 cartridges and was another 50 quid down at PC World... so I'd like to avoid that, and find a reasonable but not costly on the ink front, for a medium to light user, and also has to be wireless. Mainly for docs and sometimes photographs. Flatbed scanner useful but not a necessity if it means I can get one that's really small and compact. Wondered if any are specific to Apple more so than others?

Any reccomends would be most appreciated.
    Thanks people

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not a Mac problem; this is not an Epson problem; this is not an HP problem; this is an inkjet problem. The business model for inkjet printers is very much like razors with replaceable blades. They give you the razor so that you will buy the blades. In the case of inkjet printers, replacement ink costs only slightly more than the printer out of the box.

Then there is the issue of ink with timed lifespans. You may think that you are being ripped-off, but again you have to understand that you are dealing with ink. This ink must pass through tiny nozzles--nozzles that are much smaller than they were 20 years ago. Ink ages. As it ages, it is more likely to clog those tiny nozzles.

If you do not make enough impressions to consume an ink cartridge during its lifetime, then you should rethink your printing workflow. Perhaps you should consider not buying a printer. You may be much better served by printing your occasional paper document at a local office supply store.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

It sounds to me that since you're not using the printer much that you're not printing photos. You might not even need color printing at all. If that's the case you should go the inexpensive black & white laser printer route. At the rate you print, the printer will turn to dust before you run out of toner.

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for your replies. There was a listed fault with the model that was making ink say it needed changing before it did. But I saw this article years after purchase. I would like a colour one that's small and compact if there's one out there that doesn't cost two fortunes in ink. Yet to see a good one print great photos. Always looks great on demo but never so on home use. Not another Epson again though

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Give me some clues people. Anyone own one of those little compact jobs?!

6. Sossity macrumors 65816

There laser jet printers which use powdered inks instead of wet injets, most are in black and white but there are some color ones, they are quite expensive, I know this does not help, but thought I would explain there is another option, the powder inks do not dry out like the inkjets, so once you buy the powder inks, they can sit and be there for when you do print, but not dry up from infrequent use. This might be the ideal for the OP, although not the most economical to begin with, there is major expense at the start but then there is savings, through inks not drying out.

7. flynz4, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

flynz4 macrumors 68040

Since you want one for photos... and you print so infrequently, I would suggest you start sending your photos out for printing. They are fast, and give better results than printing at home... and are MUCH cheaper.

I've probably owned 5+ dedicated photo printers... and they are all in the trash now. I only use a single color laser printer (Xerox) now... and never for photos. They are all outsourced.

Crap pictures for little "gift projects" are usually sent to Costco... and ready for pickup by the time I drive the 3 miles to the store. Higher end work goes to specialty photo shops... or to photo books.

The Xerox color laser is good for day to day printing... which is degenerating into once a week, or once a month printing. The world is quickly moving past paper.

/Jim

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I had a small all in one Epson printer (sorry don't remember the model) and every time I went to use it I had issues.
    I bought a Cannon MG630 Pixmar and had zero issues with it. A great little printer.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I've owned two of the small portable printers... one was a Canon, and I cannot remember the brand of the other.

I can't believe that I once actually thought they might be a good idea.

/Jim

10. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

When my wife bought her iMac it included a cheap HP printer. It does an ok job on 4x6 photos and has a flatbed scanner that works ok for things that won't fit through my Fujitsu. Ink doesn't seem to dry out.

For all our other printing we use a Xerox 6180 laser. Not so great for pictures but great for color copy.

If we need large photos printed we send it out.

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for these replies, much appreciated. It's funny that when I wasn't looking for a printer, I used to see all these compact models in PC World and the like, and after looking for a few weeks in the stores, there doesn't seem to be any that are particularly small anymore. Must've gone out of fashion, or they were rubbish... but I don't want to get into that 50 quid a month in inks again for a few invoices and the odd photo here and there.

Would love to go laser, but that Xerox looks well pricey, as opposed to the Cannon MG630 you mention. I shall investigate, thanks again people

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Right now my Canon MX330 AIO is in the self storage with full used ink cartridge for a year now I hope it will not dry up. I will check the ink cartridges this weekend. :apple: