You think the iPhone 7 is probably 80% figured out by now...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Turnpike, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

As I get all excited to pick up my iPhone 6s tomorrow (got a reservation scheduled) I can't help but think of how because of all the different parts that go into this and how they get designed, sourced, manufactured, and thoroughly tested, I bet the iPhone 7 has to be at least 80% figured out right now, and there are a handful of people who have a pretty good idea what it will look like and have as new features (if not almost exactly and completely).

How close do you think the iPhone 7 is to being a complete design ready for in-house testing for bugs, design, and reliability? I'm guessing the hardware and physical design are at 80% and the software maybe 50%...

2. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Guaranteed. They probably have prototypes already. A year isn't a long time to develop a new phone from scratch. They have teams probably already thinking about the 7S.

3. mcgnms macrumors newbie

I am willing to bet that number is closer to 99%.

4. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Yup. :apple:

5. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah at the least the hardware is already done.

6. jtclary89 macrumors newbie

I can't even imagine what it must be like for anyone on that team to know what the 7 or 7S is going to look like, or what amazing features it holds. Oh to be a fly on the wall of Jony Ive's office.

7. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

It's fun to think about Apple having the future all mapped out but you'd be surprised how much can get done in a day when your company is huge and the work environment is very conducive to productivity.

I would suggest that there's much more to be done than we would like to think.

8. Will2145 macrumors 6502

Will2145

Tim cooks probably rocking a 7s as we speak ;)

9. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I've read about people who have trusted sources that the iPhone is locked in around a year in advance. The team making the S model is then given the physical design and has to work as close as possible to that spec when engineering and sourcing components. They have more lead time which is generally why the S models are so much faster. Gruber was talking about this the other day on Daring Fireball and it makes sense based on other things I've read over the years. Since they don't have to completely redesign every year, it makes the iPhone more iconic and enables them to focus more on the details and performance for the S. It also gives them more time to develop their next iconic design. It's a pretty smart tick-tock cycle.

10. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

To be honest, as every S cycle looks pretty much the same they really have 2 years to come up with a brand new design, not sure how long internals take to come up with though..

11. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I'm still mad about the iPhone 6 having a Saphire Glass Display and the team having to scramble and source other glass.

Maybe iPhone 7

12. stusgt67 macrumors regular

stusgt67

I'm hoping when i upgrade from the 6 Plus to the 7 Plus, that it can do 4K@60FPS.

13. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'm really hoping for optical image stabilization on the 4.7" models. The benefits are clear when you see it applied to videos shot on the 6S Plus. It doesn't make sense to leave out that feature for the majority of your customers who don't want to use a phablet.

14. stusgt67 macrumors regular

stusgt67

Yeah, really does make a difference! Video is so smooth on the 6 Plus!

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I would think these guys are stressed out, working hard, worrying to perfect the execution. I think they would only sigh relief on launch day when everything is done and delivered. But off they go to the next project.

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Guesses. That's all this is, guesses. 11 months from now we will have a good idea, and no guesses