Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone XS Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
so going from all the pluses, I thought the max was gonna be an ultra huge upgrade in screen size...

Definitely comfortable to use, but thought it was gonna be huge...

Anyone else disappointed that it wasn’t as big as you thought it was gonna be?

I thought we were gonna get an almost iPad mini in our pockets in a phone shape.

NVD

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Scotland, Glasgow
I agree!
I know the rumours were pointing towards a 6.5" display all year, but it really doesn't feel as big as that sounded (which sucks!) hahaha.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
so going from all the pluses, I thought the max was gonna be an ultra huge upgrade in screen size...

I thought we were gonna get an almost iPad mini in our pockets in a phone shape.

‘To Small’ compared to what exactly? You will find that the majority of iPhone owners who have been using the Max, either are completely happy with the size or even find it to be too big, so it would put you in the ‘rarity factor’ if you’re finding it too small.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Honestly, wouldn’t mind a larger iPhone.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have yet to check one out in person so I can't really judge. But I still own my 6 plus so I have an idea. And after using the X for a year now I don't like the size of the plus any longer. Guess I have changed my tune over the course of a year.

Next year I will end up getting another phone, and will most likely go with the biggest and get use to that all over again. But for now i'm good.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If they did pump it up and add more points to the display to show even more content than the plus phones that would be interesting, if they increased from 414x896 to around 472x1024 that would show as much vertically as an iPad mini and about 2/3 of an iPad mini horizontally. Whether that would look too small on a 7” screen I’m not sure, but they could probably shrink down the interface a bit and still be comfortable, especially if there’s a zoom option for those who want it.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I thought it was going to be bigger as well. I was looking at the entire length of my 7plus, thinking the xs max’s screen was going to be bigger than that but then I realized that the camera and home button weren’t apart of the screen. I was expecting it to be a smidge wider after have the Same sized phone for 4 years but I like it. The new internal specs and the buttonless screen excites me. The screen is a comfortable and acceptable size for me.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I flip it on its side to look at this forum sometimes and I feel almost like I’m on the iPad mini. So, no, it doesn’t feel too small to me.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I’ve had a plus size iPhone since they first made it with the 6 (bought during preorder too).

I wanted to be ready to switch away from the larger form factor and get the smaller phone, but I just couldn’t do it and I have no regrets for getting the max. You could perhaps tweak it some, but I wouldn’t want anything significantly larger I don’t think.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
while it is physically the same size as my 8+ when I opened the box it did indeed seem somewhat small to me. And it still does for some reason.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Using it for a week I feel like its not super big either. But picking up my X it feels so small in comparison and slippy compared to the max. I dont know if its the space grey stainless band that feels slightly different then the silver non coated stainless or what. OrJust the max is bigger and doesnt slip around as much?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yea I think it's a little big after coming from an X. I will stay with it, but definitely not too small. The OS could be optimized for it though, likely helping in that area.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010

I cannot find the photo at the moment, if I do I'll add it, but I saw a picture of an iPad Mini and an iPhone XS Max playing a movie at a 16:9 aspect ratio and they essentially had the same video size. I find my Max is definitely a heffer of a screen but I can understand how the small change in how wide the screen is versus the height can disorient the mind a little as far as how big it actually is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.