You Touch Owners Should Contact Steve

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gkarris, Sep 15, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Maybe you should complain to Steve directly. Looks like some stores aren't accepting returns of the ones with bad screens...

2. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

That actually may be a sign the problem can be fixed in software, so the stores have been told to not accept returns.

3. EnTg888 macrumors member

Just a thought... i noticed that the "blacks" that are bad are being rendered extremely darkly (whether or not you tilt the screen). Even on the iphone these blacks are not all that dark. Since some shades of black are not affected (e.g. the home screen) couldn't Apple tweak the video drivers to never display the "bad" blacks (and display them a little lighter)?

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I'm considering the possibility that it's a codec or player bug. I've not seen a photo yet of a "Good" touch.

5. caMi macrumors regular

Your post was a little hard to read, but second time around it made sense.

I think what you are saying is why does the black home screen look great but some movies that are black look like crap. And Apple should release some new video drivers.

I think you are on to something. If some blacks can be displayed properly why do others appear messed up?

6. caMi macrumors regular

Don't think so. Problem exists while looking at pics too.

7. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Why isn't the black in menus and applications affected by this "Negative" coloring? It could be the player altogether.

8. bwinterton macrumors member

good point I likewise think that it is a software issue

9. caMi macrumors regular

The black we see in photos and videos could be a color the iPod does not know how to display properly.

I am not a display expert, but I don't know why Apple could not tell the display to only show blacks that it can handle.

10. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Another point is that Apple claimed the Touch is using the same display as the iPhone, right? I haven't seen an actual hardware dissection of both units disproving this. If they are in-fact the same display, then there's no reason, other than software, that they should have this color problem.

However, if anyone has evidence that these aren't the same displays, please post it.

Also...
    If this were the case, it could be fixed via software.

11. caMi macrumors regular

12. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Seconded, one is just attached to the bezel. They could very well be the same display, but no one has explicitly shown and disproved this.

13. apodacainc macrumors newbie

Screens!

Does anyone own a macbook or macbook pro with the GLOSSY screen? Well I do, and if I tilt it to a weird angle, it does that weird negative thingy too... that's just what glossy screened apple items do! My advice:

DON'T HOLD YOU MB, MBP, or iPod Touch at weird angles!

14. iShak macrumors 6502

All LCD's do the 'negative thingy', it has to do with viewing angles, good quality LCD's have a larger viewing angle and thus lose the contrast and blacks at a smaller acute angle to the screen while the cheaper LCDs tend to lose the contrast and blacks at even the smallest of angles to the normal ..

Apple generally use good quality screens (lets not go into 18-bit vs 24-bit debate here) and the glossy on macbook is of exceptional quality ..

15. caMi macrumors regular

The negative effect happens when looking at it straight on.

16. CiscoGuru&aMac macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

I have noticed a ton of people are turning up their "Brightness" to max and this simply makes the screen harder to see at angles.

I think many people would realize nothing is wrong if they reduced the brightness of their screens.

There are some with issues, I would say the very vast majority don't have anything wrong.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Brightness is on auto-detect. The issue occurs at all brightness levels.