iPad You Tried The Air 2 But Opted For Different iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleRobert, Nov 1, 2014.

1. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Would like to read about what your choice eventually was as I am curious.

The Air 2 I don't feel I would go the Mini route instead at this point but you may have. I may decide to go with the Air 1 instead. Reasons? Well I rather not keep the display brightness at what I have it to get better battery life out of the Air 2 and while I use earbuds and external speaker most of the time, the vibration rears its ugly head occasionally. And I save $100.

2. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have the Air 2 and it's a keeper for me. My screen is as bright as my Air 1 and I love how thin, light and fast it is. Also love Touch ID. The screen distortion is a non issue as far as I'm concerned and while I don't care for the sound vibration it isn't a deal breaker. I rarely have sound on and just turn the volume down. If listening to music on it (rare) I wouldn't hold it.

3. mario-64 macrumors regular

Returned my Air 2 for an original Air due to ios 8's many bugs, primarily constant wifi disconnects. My Air with ios 7 has no such issues. Also doesn't have the vibrating sound problem and has improved battery life over the Air 2

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

TouchID, 2 Gb of ram and an even thinner profile: the air 2 over the air anytime.

5. dinepada macrumors regular

dinepada

I went for the mini retina(A7) considering the price reduction, and availability in my country (Peru) where the air 2 will come near to the end of the year…

6. sinister184, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

sinister184 macrumors member

Im having a hard time deciding this. I really dont like buying old tech, but im may end up buying an Air (or Nexus 9 [not old tech]) over the Air2. Im not happy at all with the different issues cropping up and i was worried it was too thin for its own good when they announced it. Seems like that may have been the case.

7. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I have the mini 2 (retina) and bought the Air 2. I like the Air 2 but the vibration issue really bothers me, so I exchanged it for another Air 2. I returned that one as well and am going to keep the Mini 2.

8. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart

The only true con of the new iPad air 2 to me is the vibration when the volume is cranked up, the screen is superb, the colours are rich yet natural ( unlike all samsung amoled ones ) the Screen distortion issue is really not an issue for me I can make my iPad do it, like alll of you but only when i want to. I never ever had this problem during normal use. It's think, light, has more ram, damm it's really an awesome tablet.

9. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

Was in the same boat. Ended up buying the iPad air 1. Display models distorted on the air 2 and I would simply be afraid using it. I use Smart Case, but it adds weight and distorts maybe even further. Also I found the speakers better on the air 1 (not the vibrations). Came from iPad 3 and mini retina 2. I mostly use the iPad for browsing, so I am better off with air 1. No lag, no crashes or tab reloads yet (but i rarely have more thai 3 tabs at once on any device. Also better battery life than air 2. Clear best buy for ME.

Money was not the issue. iPad air 2 was. Even at the same price, I would rather own air 1.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It's hard to call the Air old tech. It's actually very current and has a lot of life left in it. You're good to go for a while. ;)

11. AppleRobert thread starter macrumors 603

I would trade not having the TouchID and the thinner profile for the Air 1 battery life and less vibration from the sound and an extra $100. :)

I would not be thrilled with less Ram however. Safari tabs refreshing? I usually do not have more than three at a time. Even so, it would not bother me.

12. sinister184 macrumors member

I Know the a7 is perfectly capable right now (even though I think it could have used an a7x variant), I just feel like it might start showing its age when ios9 rolls like my 3 started to with ios7

13. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm sure someone could make up reasons to get the iPad 4 rather than the Air. The Air 2 is better dude. People will always complain. Stop listening to trolls.

14. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I only went through one air2 but returned to rMini (ipad mini 2) also

15. jm5309 macrumors regular

I bought an Air 2, tried it for a week, and just returned it today. It had a flawless, beautiful screen, but I didn't like the vibration. I also realized just how much I like the size of my rMini. I'm going to stick with that until they give the Mini a more significant upgrade.

16. badmojo69 macrumors member

Had the A2 could not deal with the vibration, so I'm back to my Ipad3. She's built like a tank and never lets me down.

17. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

Played with one and wasn't super impressed so I'll keep my 4. It was easier to type with a la two handed texting style, but other than that actual speed difference was negligible. RAM is nice, but not $700 nice.

18. mario-64 macrumors regular

Not everyone who has a bad experience with an Apple device is a troll. Generally speaking I'm an Apple fan but the Air 2 was a total bust for me due to constant wifi disconnects among other reasons. These are facts not trolling

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The vibration from speaks is something I've yet to test by myself, but it doesn't bother me: I'm constantly keeping the speaker volume near zero, using only earbuds or external speaks for music. Battery life I think it's good nevertheless. TouchID is something I definitely want on every iDevice.
    I'm not plagued by any browser's tabs refresh issue, and I'm constantly browsing with 2-4 tabs opened, but the 2 Gb are a welcomed upgrade.

----------

Facts? Nope, since millions of user aren't experiencing any issue. Maybe you just got a lemon....

20. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

That would mean the Mini 3 with the same internals is let down after just one iOS update. That would be really bad.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Just returned from the nearest Apple Store.
    Speaking about vibrations from the speakers.... seriously, do you consider that a defect??? :rolleyes:
    On the table I had the air and the air 2 side by side, so I compared them in the same environment (a nearly empty store this morning) with the same music.
    Yes, the air 2 at high volume (actually even at 50-60%) resonate on the backplate. You can feel it just by keeping it in your hands.
    But.... where is the issue? :confused:
    It doesn't distort the sound, actually it seems to be louder than the air (just a first impression, I didn't perform any specific test), it just has a different speaker in a different, lighter and thinner chassis.
    Seriously this forum really amaze me.

22. Dented macrumors 6502a

This is silly - the A7 is still a current chip powering this year's iPad mini and countless iPhone 5S's still being sold - IOS 9 will not dent its performance at all, 10 will be fine and even iOS 11 will be fully supported if past releases are anything to go by. My 32 bit iPhone 5 from 2012 runs iOS 8 perfectly and I fully expect to run iOS 9 well too (as will the 5C's with the same chip, still being sold today).

The iPad 3 was an anomaly, underpowered from the start, hence its rapid replacement by the 4. The iPad 3's internals were not reused, unsurprisingly.

23. mario-64 macrumors regular

Try this. Go to www.google.com and search for ios 8 wifi issues. Report back afterward if you still think these aren't facts. Just because some users don't have the problem doesn't make it less real

24. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I would love to get the air 2, but value wise I'm sticking with my mini 2 lte. Not worth double my mini 2 lte atm. Do want touchid though. Maybe next year when they up the mini 4 I'll decide then but happy with my mini 2

25. AppleRobert, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

AppleRobert thread starter macrumors 603

Hold it and while on a fairly decent volume level, play a game or do anything touching the screen. The back vibration is the worst amongst any Ipads and none of them gave any vibration/feedback to the front screen at all when doing things.

It's annoying, not a deal breaker and very tolerable because I use earbuds and external speaker as well mostly. I can see why folks that don't really don't want to live with that, why does that amaze you??? As far as a defect? Android tablets thin and light do not experience this, I have experience with many with the most recent the 4th gen Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" which probably has the best sound on the planet.

The vibration in itself however would never keep me from the Air 2. The $100 savings, probably would get an Ipad Air 1 still on IOS 7 (the consensus is IOS 8 is buggy), absolutely better battery life and I doubt I'll notice much of a speed difference to tell the truth. More fuel why some folks would revert back to the Air 1.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm not going to the Air 1 just yet, just kicking it around. There are just as many folks happy with the move to the Air 2 from the Air 1 as the reverse.