You Tube video quality iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrrich, Jul 4, 2010.

1. mrrich macrumors newbie

Brand new iPhone user, what a GREAT piece of technology!. Last night I ran into a friend and I showed him that I finally got my new iPhone 4. He is not an Apple fan, but his initial response was positive. Anyway, he took out his phone which is an Android phone, maybe HTC on the Sprint network. He held both phones and started to compare them. His screen looked horrible, and his phone was thicker. He then went to you tube, and searched for a video, the same video on both phones. We were both on our native networks, there was no wi-fi. Bottom line was that the iphone started to play the video a second or two faster, the quality of the video on the iPhone was junk. The quality of the video on his phone was much, much better. He doesn't have the screen resolution, but there was no pixilation. The night before, I was using a wi-fi connection, and a few videos I looked at were great, no issues. I've done some further testing and it seems that , depending on the connection speed, you get different size video files from You Tube? Is this true? If so, can it be corrected?

TIA

Rich

2. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Yes it is true, when you view YouTube without wifi, it's horribly pixilated. That's true on all smartphones but worse on the iPhone. I had the HTC EVO for a couple weeks and the non wifi YouTube videos were definitely clearer than the iPhone.

3. missing.link macrumors newbie

Youtube app automatically lowers the quality of videos if you're not connected to a wi-fi network. It sucks. You can correct it by jail-breaking your phone, and turning off the 3G video quality downgrade.

That's not a route I wanted to go right now, so I use the Truveo video app. It allows streaming of high quality videos over 3G, you just need to allow it in the Settings. It searches Youtube, among other video sites.

Just watch your bandwitdth of you don't have an unlimited data plan.

4. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Thanks for the tip! I miss using MxTube and didn't know about Truveo.

5. mrrich thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I thought this might be the issue, I just wanted to confirm. One way to keep the 3G network traffic down I suppose.

6. equitaner macrumors newbie

I found a way!!

1. Go to http://www.youtube.com/html5
    2. Enable HTML5 beta
    3. Use Desktop Version of youtube in iPhone Safari
    4. Enjoy HQ over 3G/Edge

It seems to be unstable, sometimes it works, sometimes not. And sometimes youtube pulls me back to the touchscreen-version and unsets HTML5 beta settings, so I have to repeat the procedure again...

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This just happened today.

1) Go to www.youtube.com on your iPhone

2) Hit the "+" button to add it to your homescreen.

3) Go to the phone's SETTINGS > GENERAL and turn restrictions on.

4) Turn OFF the Youtube app in those settings

That's it. Now you can watch high quality videos over 3G.

Do not do this. They added HQ playback to the MOBILE site, which acutally works well on mobile devices.

8. honeytoast macrumors regular

The mobile version (m.youtube.com) has just been relaunched and supports HQ over 3G. It looks great and has many more features than the official app. Also, when you bookmark the app on your homescreen it has a great hi-res icon that looks great even on the Retina Display. It has replaced the official app on my homescreen.

9. equitaner macrumors newbie

Sorry, that doesn't work on my iPhone4.

Without disabling youtube-App the 3G videoquality stays poor and with disabling youtube-App no videos can be played (tested with mobile and touchscreen version).